"Gravel" SPD pedals - what do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two bikes have XT standard SPD and one has XT trail SPD, with the bigger platform.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
M540 is the sweet spot. M520s are ok but usually need overhauling sooner. M540s can go many years of daily use before the bearings develop play.

M324 have to be regarded as disposable, since a bizarrely overpriced tool (£40 if you shop around) is needed to overhaul or merely adjust the bearings.

Baldy

Über Member
I've just fitted M540's to my touring bike after years of toe clips. I've found them really easy to get used to, should have done it years ago. I like them so much I've just ordered a set for my road bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I perfer XT as they have a metal lockring and are easier to service. Never paid RRP though. Usually around £50 a pair. Wouldn't go to XTR though as they have suffered snapped spindals (titanium).

Last edited:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I have 520s on one bike and 540s on another. Both done 13+ years of trouble-free service with no maintenance. Both as good as each other. I also have M324s on my old hybrid which my wife now uses for her infrequent jaunts - I don’t really like them but she cycles in normal shoes and I still occasionally “borrow” the bike so want the option to clip in. I’d only ever use them on a shared bike. Not a fan.

My best bike has XT pedals (Ie with a small platform) - when I bought them they were called M785 but they seem now to be called M8020 (see pic below). I only got them because my bike shop that built my bike up for me had them at a ridiculously cheap sale price. Can’t say I’ve noticed any performance improvement over M520 or M540. I’ve never tried cycling in normal shoes on them but I suppose it might be a bit easier.

1586206046917.jpeg

wonderloaf

Veteran
I used A520's on my road bike and transferred them to the gravel bike when I first got it, but found that sometimes when on the rough stuff I just wanted to be able to stamp my foot onto the pedal and clip in rather than trying to flip the pedal up to the correct position before clipping in. I managed to get a pair of Look X-Track En-rage pedals for a good price from ebay, they're double sided and SPD compatible although Look supply their own cleats with the pedals; I don't find a massive difference to the Shimano cleats but they do seem to clip in and retain a bit better than the Shimanos.
1586208263075.png

https://www.merlincycles.com/look-x...ing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=66466&source=PHG

What I like about these pedals is that they clip in and out easily (with either the Look or Shimano cleats), but when you get out of the saddle to lay the power down :whistle: there's not a hint of them unclipping, they feel very secure.The wide platform gives plenty of support and I think there's a little more float than the A520's. Worth considering if you want to go double sided and want something a bit different to the Shimanos.

12boy

Guru
I use double sided and the kind that have SPDs on one side and flat the other, which cost a lot more. I use those on my Brompton so I can ride in sandals or Crocs when it's hot and on my Surly so I can wear hiking boots on snow and ice and put my foot down without unclipping. All my Shimano pedals have lasted a long time so far with zero maintenance.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Had A530 - great pedals, comfy on both sides, always returned to the same position so clipping in was a breeze, gave them away
Now use A600, clipping in is less predictable, foot has less support, in exchange for a 100g of weight - not happy

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's worth pointing out that M324s usually come with what MTBers call the "sissy cleats" (silver, multi-release). These allow you to yank your foot out without twisting and are probably not what you want. The standard black cleats (SM-SH51) are the secure ones.

For people wanting to ride with "normal" shoes, I shall mention that I've found I can ride a long way on "small" pedals (e.g. the M520s) in street shoes. It's not THAT bad; and if I want to ride "properly" then it's probably a long enough ride to justify changing shoes too!

May not work for everyone, but worth trying IMO ...

Top Bottom