Gravelly-Urbany-Fun single speed inspiration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
I've got a new job, Yey!

New job is on a much flatter and much more urban route than the 11 mile commute I've been doing for the last few years on my beloved Genesis Equillibrium disc 20. As such, I'm thinking about treating myself to a nice single speed that can be as much a fashion statement as all year workhorse. I'm really looking for pictures of your lovely single speeds/fixies and how they work with regards commuting. I really like the idea of putting wider slicks (35-40C) on for the fun factor. I want some sort of luggage option, be it a pannier or front cargo basket or something. Just a bit different from the usual skinny steel fixie (which I still love...!)

Budget is open ended, I'm not opposed to buying parts, scrubbing down an old frame and banging some Aksiums in it or whatever.

Currently I'm oogling the one from the vulpine photo shoot... WAY out of budget for me but I'm sure I could knock up something similar...

ImageCrops52.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
An old Raleigh, I know this one has a 3speed Sa hub but if you fit an SS rear wheel.

DSCN0038.JPG

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Equally, an old MTB. Cassette off, single sprocket and spacers on, chainset swapped / modded to get a single chainring, mechs off and slicks on.
Just make sure it's got horizontal droppouts, or you're opening up a whole world of faff.
I've got one I keep meaning to get round to...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Equally, an old MTB. Cassette off, single sprocket and spacers on, chainset swapped / modded to get a single chainring, mechs off and slicks on.
Just make sure it's got horizontal droppouts, or you're opening up a whole world of faff.
I've got one I keep meaning to get round to...

I've been consididering something like this, If I don't find something with horizontal dropouts (which does seem to be a sticking point) Could I use a chain tensioner? Is there something else I'm missing?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's so many old frames out there it's worth waiting / looking for one that'll do what you want. Actually, I've got a steel frame that has a pringled hub gear wheel in it...
That'd take 35mm tyres, if not 40.
Where are you? Anywhere near me?
EDIT - nowhere near me!

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm retired now so don't commute but my last two commuters were fixed as was my commuter round about 1990. All three were excellent commuting bikes.

Genesis Flier 2.jpg Pearson 2.jpeg pollard 3.jpeg

Jonathing

Über Member
I have a Genesis Day One disc for exactly this purpose. It occasionally has 35mm slicks on, which give space for the mudguards which are currently in my shed, but most of the time is wears 40mm "gravel" tyres and a rear rack.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
After much trial and error I now have 38 x 14 which is just slightly lower than my SS road bike gear.

With the 14t cog it's marginally too tight, but with 13t it was far too baggy! Who'd have thought one tooth would make so much difference?

Anyway, chain and chainring have done very few miles so once it beds in it should be fine, and at least it shouldn't keep unshipping the chain like it was. :rolleyes:

IMAG4158.jpg

Top Bottom