Grease up those bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have just taken out my headset and bottom bracket on my old CB and given them a thorough clean using WD40. I left them to dry and I was going to use GT-85 but had second thoughts.

Some suggest grease but what about some 15w 40 engine oil?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You'd be better off with grease. Oil will run out over time, whereas grease stays put.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
I am now the proud owner of a can of grease...and when I've used around 1/500,000th of what I had to buy on the bearings, I'll use it for fried breakfasts and styling my ungovernable mop.

Thanks for the enlightenment...

Mr Pig

I'm an impatient so and so too ;0) I'll talk myself into using whatever is to hand rather than waiting to get the right thing. I combat this tendency by collecting millions of different lubricants, fasteners and tools so that I'll hopefully have what I need.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Mr Pig said:
I'm an impatient so and so too ;0) I'll talk myself into using whatever is to hand rather than waiting to get the right thing. I combat this tendency by collecting millions of different lubricants, fasteners and tools so that I'll hopefully have what I need.

Definitely Mr. Pig, that's it...that and the old wonga. You guessed right Ivan.

:smile: Thanks anyway one and all...

Lone Rider

I tried to put some grease into my pedals without taking them apart but it didn't work too well. Could I heat the grease to make it more liquid, then pour it into the pedals? Any other suggestions?

Norm

Probably find it's easier to take them apart. :blush: I did mine on Monday night, first time I've had a pair of pedals apart but stripping, cleaning and re-assembling took about an hour. I'll remember to dry them after going through deep fords next time!

Having looked inside a set of pedals, if you warm the grease to make it runny enough to flow in, it'll probably just flow straight out again, or pool in places where it's doing no good.

Top Bottom