Great cycling cities of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

I can’t help thinking that the mayor of one you would never have thought of as such, Paris, is set on creating one.

I’m highly biased, as Paris has long been my favourite city,. At the moment it is a traffic hell, mostly becaus bike paths are being renewed, resurfaced, and even created throughout. Not only that, but many of the newer paths are marked a car doors width away from street parking areas.

The trail along the Seine (pronounced as Sen, by the way) is sure to become a must do.

There is, however, a downside. Those blasted electric scooters are everywhere, taking up valuable cycling space. They have the advantage that you can pick them up anywhere, unlike vėlib and newer mass transit bikes, so be prepared to share your new path with them.

alicat

Legendary Member
That's good to hear.

BTW, not sure why we needed reminding how to pronounce Seine especially when it's not relevant to the topic.

Amicalement,

Alicat

Globalti

Legendary Member
I liked Paris when I lived there in the mid 80s but on recent visits I've been disgusted by the graffiti, the street crime and the stink of urine in the Metro and underpasses.

OP
OP
U

User66445

That's good to hear.

BTW, not sure why we needed reminding how to pronounce Seine especially when it's not relevant to the topic.

Amicalement,

Alicat
Must gave been my French teacher, then. French are hot on pronunciation, so maybe it has started rubbing off. No offence intended
I liked Paris when I lived there in the mid 80s but on recent visits I've been disgusted by the graffiti, the street crime and the stink of urine in the Metro and underpasses.
Unfortunately you can say that about virtually every city. Never really noticed much in the way of street crime, by the way. Didn’t mention it, but many of the Metro stations are being revamped, too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
London trumps Paris for cleanliness and civilisation. A lot of the improvement started with Ken Livingstone. I remember him being interviewed on TV after the TDF started in London. Wearing his trademark white jacket Ken said in his nasal voice: "Yes this has been one of two of my ideas that has worked out better than I expected... the other being congestion charging!"

My abiding memories of Paris are largely olfactory: the combined smell of sweet crepes (pronounced crep btw) and stale urine. And a beautiful woman on the metro in a chanel suit who stank like a polecat! :smile:
Am intrigued by your apparent olfactory experience of polecats.

Truly bizarre post.

Possibly only explained by the timestamp.

edit - or did someone (mods?) hack out something before it?

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
Oh, and I didn't like to be rude when the OP was around; however, the last time I went to Paris the Métro did smell of urine. I normally only smell that in the UK when I go to old people's homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Paris..
My one and only visit to Paris.
Hotel manager tried to rip us off.
Taxi driver Did rip us off.
My wife was within a few seconds from being a victim of a young female pick pocket gang on the metro, foiled by me.
They had all her bag zips opened ready for the grab at the next stop.

I spent my weekend continually on full alert, gangs of black Africans trying to surround us and part us with anything they could.
Night time... Very unsafe feeling.
Most attractions seemed to be the hang outs for smoking weed, un-checked by police.
Rude police.
Quite rude locals, despite trying to speak french..

Good points
Nice buildings..
It was sunny
Some ok food, but expensive

Will i go again No

Globalti

Legendary Member
France is still living beyond its means and refusing to get to grips with the need for public austerity and you can see the consequences in the collapse of civility in big cities.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry,

MOD EDIT

I’m off.

I was going to ask if the OP's comment was caused by him falling int'Seine as a child but then I realised my attempt at humour doesn't work if it's pronounced as Sen. I'll get me coat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom