England : Lancashire Great Manchester Cycle 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sand

Interested by the comments on riding skills, etc. I was passed twice by large pelotons and I can understand why riders want to take advantage of the closed roads - the big groups certainly didn't cause me a problem and when I saw them coming the opposite way they seemed to have plenty of open road ahead of them. I was also passed many times by groups of 10-12, jumped on the back of one or two, and these seemed quite well organised.

I think we need to remember this event attracts mixed abilities from those on mountain bikes, who I felt very sorry for as the vast majority whizzed by them, up to some very serious riders. The riders I did have a problem with were in groups of 1-3 desperate to push through, several times I had other riders push through very small gaps at speed a bike's length ahead of me - a bit like those people who constantly jump lanes on a motorway. On one u-turn a guy came inside me, even though I had gone wide, took my line forcing me to brake hard and feel the back wheel wobble for the first time in years!! Daft manouevre.

I like to think I'm a decent club rider with experience of group riding and also know how to ride in yesterday's event. It seemed to me the guys riding at around 21-23mph pushing through people should have been using their experience to know when to back off and wait or to plan their move much further ahead rather than just diving in. Afterall we were all trying to have fun on the same bit of tarmac.

Due to riding almost exclusively in the draft of the first or second group I finished with a time of 2:08, over 5mph faster than I did the 26 last year on my own! I can't speak about other groups but most passes were very clean with shouts of "stay left" ect, the only slight problems were when the road was suddenly narrowed by cones. I think the very front even had a motorbike ahead of them! I think it was clear most of the riders were club riders and wheels were rarely overlapped. I also only saw about one pair of tribars in the first 40 riders (guy with ironman tattoo who never seemed to use them), I also can't remember any deep rim wheels which I saw quite a few of in later groups.

The front of the group did slow before passing, but I think for me and most of the riders behind slowing down and leaving a 10m gap would mean there would be no way back on.

on the road

Über Member
however cat's eyes are deadly.
I know, I went over one but manage to avoid the next one.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Due to riding almost exclusively in the draft of the first or second group I finished with a time of 2:08, over 5mph faster than I did the 26 last year on my own! I can't speak about other groups but most passes were very clean with shouts of "stay left" ect, the only slight problems were when the road was suddenly narrowed by cones. I think the very front even had a motorbike ahead of them! I think it was clear most of the riders were club riders and wheels were rarely overlapped. I also only saw about one pair of tribars in the first 40 riders (guy with ironman tattoo who never seemed to use them), I also can't remember any deep rim wheels which I saw quite a few of in later groups.

The front of the group did slow before passing, but I think for me and most of the riders behind slowing down and leaving a 10m gap would mean there would be no way back on.

Wish i was in that front group, I started about 12 mins back.

on the road

Über Member
I think next time I probably get BC membership (I used to be a member) and then I won't be near the back Like I was yesterday.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I started way back and didn't really get with any groups, had to work my way around from people to people and do a bit of bridging, mainly I just had fun and chatted to loads of people.

Powely

I think next time I probably get BC membership (I used to be a member) and then I won't be near the back Like I was yesterday.

I'm not a member but there was a few guys sneakily walking through the BC entrance to 'use the toilets' then lifting their bikes over the barrier, including some in club jerseys (SSG Oldham), pretty hard faced in my opinion. Felt good when I passed a couple of them though.

Mello

Finished the 52 in 2:16:49. 177th overall and 24th in my age group. Delighted with that result considering it took me over 3 hours last year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have it on first hand that one of the clubs went out deliberately for a good time (i.e. fast) got under 2.10 easily, but there have been a lot of complaints about them and their riding. As has been mentioned, its not a race and there are folk far less experienced out there.

Powely

I have it on first hand that one of the clubs went out deliberately for a good time (i.e. fast) got under 2.10 easily, but there have been a lot of complaints about them and their riding. As has been mentioned, its not a race and there are folk far less experienced out there.

It's not on really. Why do they think their time is more important than others safety? I suspect this club was a Cheshire based club! They seemed to upset a few riders.

Garz

Squat Member
I started way back and didn't really get with any groups, had to work my way around from people to people and do a bit of bridging, mainly I just had fun and chatted to loads of people.

Me too. I started halfway among the generic public as my buddy wasn't a member of BC. The start was slow however there was no bottleneck like last years event. The first half lap was spent warming up the pace by which time any fast groups that were ahead you had no chance of catching.

Fun event which should not be taken too seriously. Clubs going out to blast a 'good time' should get blocked unless the event can cater for it as mixing them with everyone else seems to have aggravated people.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's not on really. Why do they think their time is more important than others safety? I suspect this club was a Cheshire based club! They seemed to upset a few riders.

I'd echo that, being one of the two front groups. They were fine riding with unless you upset their line of club riders, when they shoved you off or squeezed in hard.

Having crashed - with the rider who caused it (riding with a Skins jersey) oblivious as to his impact since I saw him when riding back to my car - I'm bruised but hopefully should be OK for this weekend's Olympic tri in Wakefield.

Top Bottom