England : Lancashire Great Manchester Cycle 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Was that the accident on the straight bit of road? Me and another guy were trying to work out how that happened our guess was bad group riding skills by someone, most likely not the guys who ended up hurt.

Powely

I was worrying about making the 11:30 cut off, boom we were done for 11am.

I don't think you needed of worried anyway. It was 11:30 to start your last lap I believe?

on the road

Über Member
There were some on the 52 miles going excruciatingly slow, my personal opinion is that they shouldn't have signed themselves up for the 52 because at the pace they were going at they wouldn't have made to cut off time.

sand

There were some on the 52 miles going excruciatingly slow, my personal opinion is that they shouldn't have signed themselves up for the 52 because at the pace they were going at they wouldn't have made to cut off time.

I left around 11.00 and some were going very slowly into the headwind, starting either their final or 3rd lap. I've got no problem with them doing it as the point of a sportive is to challenge yourself. These riders were clearly knackered with a very painful 10 miles to go, but should have a real sense of accomplishment after finishing.

Garz

Squat Member
Negotiated a few hair raising moments from unpredictable riding but managed to finish in 2h23m. Said hello to Paul in the CC jersey on lap 1, I think I spotted one other in the kit all ride. Improved on my time from last year by 10 mins, encouraged by the fact if I put in some decent training I should bring it below 2h20 so pretty happy all round.

I seen loads of people tending to punctures, and agree with the comments on the tri-bar brigade - there's no need for it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I rode last year and this, it's the only sportive I ride these days, and had a fantastic time. Finished in 2.39 which was 7 minutes better than last year and as I'm just a 59 year old club rider I'm really pleased with the time.

Interested by the comments on riding skills, etc. I was passed twice by large pelotons and I can understand why riders want to take advantage of the closed roads - the big groups certainly didn't cause me a problem and when I saw them coming the opposite way they seemed to have plenty of open road ahead of them. I was also passed many times by groups of 10-12, jumped on the back of one or two, and these seemed quite well organised.

I think we need to remember this event attracts mixed abilities from those on mountain bikes, who I felt very sorry for as the vast majority whizzed by them, up to some very serious riders. The riders I did have a problem with were in groups of 1-3 desperate to push through, several times I had other riders push through very small gaps at speed a bike's length ahead of me - a bit like those people who constantly jump lanes on a motorway. On one u-turn a guy came inside me, even though I had gone wide, took my line forcing me to brake hard and feel the back wheel wobble for the first time in years!! Daft manouevre.

I like to think I'm a decent club rider with experience of group riding and also know how to ride in yesterday's event. It seemed to me the guys riding at around 21-23mph pushing through people should have been using their experience to know when to back off and wait or to plan their move much further ahead rather than just diving in. Afterall we were all trying to have fun on the same bit of tarmac.

Had a great day, much improved route without the pinch points and felt really fantastic as I crossed the finish line and realised it was a PB for me.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
2:16 52 miles, could not believe they let people do it with aero bars! Was a dangerous event, the conbination of fast and slow was super dangerous. I just missed a crash, unfortunatly the guy on my back wheel didnt and crashed into a woman who cut straight across him.

jarlrmai

Veteran
There was a guy on a full time trial / tri bike. I made a few mistakes as a little tiredness set in. I think may be some better marshalling maybe experienced riders helping calm things down and a split start for fast medium and slow riders might help al though lapping would probably be an issue. But that accident on the straight wide road sticks out to me as something that should not be happening.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Maybe a little briefing over the loud speakers about slower people keep to the left and keep checking over the shoulder when moving from position or something.

I passed people at little close unintentionally at times, but I was quick to apologise. You had to keep your concentration up moving through the field as so many riders were unpredictable.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I did the 26 mile route today. There were quite a few "wobblers" meandering across the circuit without shoulder checking. There were also "crazy fools" who got impatient and would try squeeze their bikes through a tiny gap. You mix the crazy fools and the wobblers and it's going to be carnage. I had the helmet cam running on the first lap. Might have some candidates for silly cyclists in the footage?[/quote]

Ow dear, I maybe on this!

on the road

Über Member
I didn't like those yellow lines on the road though, every time I went over them it felt like my bike was about to fall apart.

Top Bottom