Great old TV series (preferably drama)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Tales of the Unexpected
Running on sky arts at the moment.
Might be on you tube?

Loved it when i was twelve... after watching it more recently, I call it Tales of the Uninspired.

Quatermass and the Pit, the classic spooky sci-fi series from 1958 is brilliant, far far better than the film (which isn't at all bad).

Timeslip (1970)... aimed at the teen audience, a couple of kids slip back through time, then forward in the second series, and further forward in the third... utterly brilliant, totally dated, slightly camp, very theatrical.

Noah's Castle (1979) sprang to mind recently. Set in a dystopic Britain blighted by food shortages, stockpiling has been banned, but Noah's dad has a cellar full of hoarded food. The house is fortified, the family is falling apart and the locals are keen to get their mitts on the food in the cellar. Dated but great.

Englishman's Castle (1977ish) One of those 'if germany won the war' dramas, but a really really good one. Only three parts I recall.

The Chinese Detective (1981)... found it rather uninspiring when originally aired, but watched it a few years back and it was excellent.

oh, and Day of the Triffids (BBC 1980ish)... far far far better than any movie version. Highly recommended.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bouquet of barbed wire. 70s iirc

Hill Street blues

A team

Bionic man

Moonlighting

Mash

Only and Bay Watch :laugh: you did say serious tv

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Loved it when i was twelve... after watching it more recently, I call it Tales of the Uninspired.

Quatermass and the Pit, the classic spooky sci-fi series from 1958 is brilliant, far far better than the film (which isn't at all bad).

Timeslip (1970)... aimed at the teen audience, a couple of kids slip back through time, then forward in the second series, and further forward in the third... utterly brilliant, totally dated, slightly camp, very theatrical.

Noah's Castle (1979) sprang to mind recently. Set in a dystopic Britain blighted by food shortages, stockpiling has been banned, but Noah's dad has a cellar full of hoarded food. The house is fortified, the family is falling apart and the locals are keen to get their mitts on the food in the cellar. Dated but great.

Englishman's Castle (1977ish) One of those 'if germany won the war' dramas, but a really really good one. Only three parts I recall.

The Chinese Detective (1981)... found it rather uninspiring when originally aired, but watched it a few years back and it was excellent.

oh, and Day of the Triffids (BBC 1980ish)... far far far better than any movie version. Highly recommended.

I recall timeslip being quite scary back in the day

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here's a couple of stand outs:

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy - astonishingly good drama. Arguably Alec Guineness's finest performance, and a superb supporting cast in no way overshadowed. Has TV ever bettered this ?

And the sequel Smiley's People only a smidge behind.

I Claudius - stagey and theatrical, but the top talent of the day, all at their best

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Brideshead Revisited, although Anthony Andrews and Jeremy Irons were both in their 30s at the time so the early scenes are a little odd in retrospect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Our Friends in the North was brilliant, but I am not sure I would want to watch it again.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
There's one with drama, romance, action, and lots of creatures with bumpy foreheads: Buffy the Vampire Slayer! Erggh... aargh! :crazy:
Seriously, though, it's a really good TV series, and except for season 1, all seasons (7 in total) are 22 episodes. This was created back when people still had attention spans.

Top Bottom