Great old TV series (preferably drama)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I always thought Shameless went downhill after Kev & Veronica were written out of it. Never liked the Maguires as characters, apart from the gay son Micky, who was hilarious.

Yes, I'd agree that was when it started to slip - I think that was the time they moved it to a purpose built set rather than filming it on location and it started being more of a parody of the disenfranchised.

I think that Dennis Waterman must make a bit of money from repeats what with Sweeney, Minder and New Tricks always on somewhere.

Especially the shows where he wrote the theme tune and sang the theme tune. ;)

They never seem to repeat On The Up, or that one he made for Yorkshire TV with Jan Vincent in after he left Minder do they?

Edge of Darkness, the 1985 thriller with Bob Peck, Joe Don Baker and a lot of other brilliant character actors. It's very good.

Another great sci serial was First Born with Charles Dance.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not made in the 80s, but set in the 80s:

Deutschland 83 and the sequel Deutschland 86. They cover a time and events that I was aware of growing up. They are in German language with subtitles which is normally a turn-off for me but I really enjoyed both series.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Not made in the 80s, but set in the 80s:

Deutschland 83 and the sequel Deutschland 86. They cover a time and events that I was aware of growing up. They are in German language with subtitles which is normally a turn-off for me but I really enjoyed both series.

Yes! Both of those are brilliant, good drama, good suspense elements and snippets of some great '80s music helps anchor it in that era.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Has anyone mentioned The Sweeney yet. It's actually very good.
on page one :smile:

it's far superior to many cop shows, before or since... gritty and funny and unlike many of its contemporaries, hasn't dated badly at all.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
One of my favourite programmes as a child was 'Get Some In!'. It was a comedy about RAF national servicemen in the 1950s. I saw a repeat recently, it was absolute rubbish. I could understand why a child would enjoy it though.

You've just reminded me of another sitcom from the late '70s called Rosie. It followed the adventures and mishaps of PC Penrose and his colleague PC Wilmot. To me Wilmot was by far the better character and was very funny (played by the late Tony Haygarth).

lane

Veteran
on page one :smile:

it's far superior to many cop shows, before or since... gritty and funny and unlike many of its contemporaries, hasn't dated badly at all.

Have to skim read the posts a bit am working at home

The thing with Sweeney on ITV 4 that is annoying is that they only show a selection of the same episodes a a loop so there is a lot you never see. Not sure why that is presumably it's cheaper for them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

The thing with Sweeney on ITV 4 that is annoying is that they only show a selection of the same episodes a a loop so there is a lot you never see. Not sure why that is presumably it's cheaper for them.
Annoying... I got the box-sets about 15 years ago :becool:

lane

Veteran
They are all available on videomotion for free but I find that's a bit hit and miss to use

Smudge

Veteran

Some episodes may not be PC enough for today's often offended viewers.
I like to watch the Top Of The Pops repeats on BBC4 and episodes are always being missed out because of who presented it, or who was singing on there.

lane

Veteran
If we are talking about series from the 70s 80s and 90s same will hold true of most. Certainly some things in Minder are very inappropriate in today's context. They were of thier time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom