Greatest advice when negotiating traffic and roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hector

Cycling on an open road which is not closed off to traffic for what ever reason should always, always be defensive and pro active.

As a result of this your position on the road is the most important thing and will always be, as this dictates what you do and what other road users do when you interact.

Constant periodic observation is needed in front of you and behind you in order for your position to change should you need to. And in order to react in a pro active way to any developing risks that may become hazards.

The above is achieved through milage and experince and is an essential skill in order to be more pro active and less reactive which is potentially very dangerous, when dealing with movable metal objects which can be heavy and which will hurt should they come into contact with you.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Cycling on an open road which is not closed off to traffic for what ever reason should always, always be defensive and pro active.

As a result of this your position on the road is the most important thing and will always be, as this dictates what you do and what other road users do when you interact.

Constant periodic observation is needed in front of you and behind you in order for your position to change should you need to. And in order to react in a pro active way to any developing risks that may become hazards.

The above is achieved through milage and experince and is an essential skill in order to be more pro active and less reactive which is potentially very dangerous, when dealing with movable metal objects which can be heavy and which will hurt should they come into contact with you.
Well put!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Don't be like those idiot drivers who have to overtake cyclists at all costs: when approaching red lights, it's not compulsory to get to the front of the queue, it's often safer and less stressful to slot into a gap a few cars back.

Pauluk

Trikeman said:
when approaching red lights, it's not compulsory to get to the front of the queue, it's often safer and less stressful to slot into a gap a few cars back.
I agree, especially if there's a left turn at the lights and it gives you a bit more time to clip in. I'll only filter if there is an unoccupied ASZ and if I've got time to reach it safely. Not always, but sometimes it amounts to pushing in IMO. Filtering is ok if other traffic can't progress but you can (safely). If the queue isn't too bad why push in.

mknash

I would add, especially for newbies, don't drift off the lane to the left at junctions when going straight on and a minor road joins from the left. You may not have room to safely get back into lane once cars adjust for your absence.

Edited to clarify

jaynana

Always assume one of those vehicles will pull out whether they see you or not.
Don't ride the lines on roundabouts, ride the lanes.

this is a good one actually.. the issue is getting honked from behind!! in london that is ..

When a pedestrian is crossing at a set of traffic lights, they have right of way if the lights are on red>amber. However, they also have right of way if they started walking on an amber and the lights change to green. You should wait for them to finish crossing and not be an impatient person, whether cycling or driving.
I'm not sure how much use this is, because even if they are crossing against a red, you still aren't allowed to run them down (which seems to be the same as "priority" in my book)

As this is in commuting, I can assume a regular journey.

In which case a good knowledge of your route;

Which pub has the best beer,
Where the School is and the inattentive parents will be listening to Tarquin's day at School in stead of paying attention to the road
How your traffic light sequences work, how drivers will (as opposed to how they should) behave at a particular junction
Escape routes if there are roadworks,
Which pub has the best beer
Where the road speed changes and the chancers are going to accelerate early
Which pub has the best beer
Where the industrial state and the HGVs are
Where the best place is to wait for a lift if you have a mechanical failure

...and a thousand other things that will benefit your safety and enhance the journey

Top Bottom