Greatest advice when negotiating traffic and roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I hope to make this a sticky but this is generally what I want this thread to be about: Give advice and decisions on what you think should be done in typical road situations. Either what to do at traffic lights, on a roundabout, at a blind junction, when filtering, etc.
I will start the ball rolling:

When a pedestrian is crossing at a set of traffic lights, they have right of way if the lights are on red>amber. However, they also have right of way if they started walking on an amber and the lights change to green. You should wait for them to finish crossing and not be an impatient person, whether cycling or driving.

Octet

Veteran
You should always stop at a red light, so no RLJ.
If in doubt, let the car go first... the car shall do more damage then you on a bicycle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never assume some one has seen you and registered your presence - eye contact means nothing.

"Right of way" is of zero consolation when you're dead. It is something you give, not something you take.

Obey the rules of the road.

Ride predicatably.

Keep hydrated - up to 1 litre an hour if you're really going for it, or in hot wetaher.

Wear appropriate kit - if you can't feel you toes because of icicles, you wont be paying full attention to what you're doing.

Godd luck.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
When a pedestrian is crossing at a set of traffic lights, they have right of way if the lights are on red>amber. However, they also have right of way if they started walking on an amber and the lights change to green. You should wait for them to finish crossing and not be an impatient person, whether cycling or driving.
To be correct. There is no such thing as right of way in the sense you use it.

I can see this stepping on the toes of the thread and great PDF in the thread The Essential Guide For New Commuters

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Expect the unexpected.

Always have a backout plan.

Don't be a dick.

GC

D

Deleted member 20519

Don't be stupid. Just because traffic should yield for you, it doesn't mean they will.

Top Bottom