Greece holiday ideas anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Kefalonia is still mainly unspoilt, has fantastic scenery, and isn't popular with the Club 18-30 crowd - it's mainly older farts like me. It gets higher than average rainfall so is more green and lush rather than rocky and barren. The locals are brilliant - respectful and welcoming rather than pushy. Skala's a good place to stay. Have a day trip out to Fiskardo.
About 4hrs flight time from Manchester.
I am certaintly with you. I love Kefalonia.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't know, but I found them (literally!) a right pain...

I was bitten numerous times one night and yelped when another of the little sods stuck its 'needle' in. My girlfriend woke up and told me to stop being such a wimp so I jumped out of bed and turned the light on. I had more then 10 nasty bites and one of them still had a bulging red mossie hanging off! I got a bit more sympathy after that ...

I don't know why some people get bitten and some don't. Maybe everybody does get the bites, but some people don't get the reaction?
Are you type O blood ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Er, good question!

I don't actually know what blood type I am, but my mum once told me that I am a pretty rare type. Next time I go to the doctor, I will ask - I'm sure it will be in my records somewhere, given how many tests were done on me for my blood clotting problems.
When my mate was getting bitten to bits and I wasn't I googled it. People with type O are far more likely to be bitten and yes, he is type O.

vickster

Legendary Member
I enjoyed Zakynthos in September (we stayed in Argassi, quiet then.). Did a day trip to Kefalonia, would certainly like to go back

gavgav

Guru
Kefalonia is still mainly unspoilt, has fantastic scenery, and isn't popular with the Club 18-30 crowd - it's mainly older farts like me. It gets higher than average rainfall so is more green and lush rather than rocky and barren. The locals are brilliant - respectful and welcoming rather than pushy. Skala's a good place to stay. Have a day trip out to Fiskardo.
100% recommend Kefalonia. I’ve been twice, staying in Fiskardo and Xi. Very different places, both equally wonderful.

pjd57

Veteran
Pefkos on Rhodes ticks the boxes.
Not sure of the flight time though

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Seconded. Got married in Skala. It's ace.

Out of season, Greece is very pleasant. March is spring when all the flowers are out and the grass is green. Even hell hole clubbing islands can be good destinations. If you want ancient history and local culture, rather than gas mark 5 on the beach, go in spring.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Out of season, Greece is very pleasant. March is spring when all the flowers are out and the grass is green. Even hell hole clubbing islands can be good destinations. If you want ancient history and local culture, rather than gas mark 5 on the beach, go in spring.
Thanks. Thinking of April.

GetFatty

Über Member
Kefalonia is nice. Santorini is absolutely utterly and totally stunning (but get a second mortgage). However I've now been going to Crete (Georgiopolis). What the town lacks in scenery and architecture, it more than makes up for in food and friendliness and the scenery and architecture is a short walk away (Lake Kournas for scenery) and Chania if you want a Venetian port (although it's a bus rather than a walk)

Salar

A fish out of water
Don't know what Kefalonia is like now, but back in the 80's it was a lovely place.

Not very touristy then, stayed in a nice apartment, but we only had water every other day and one night we had a monster thunderstorm which flooded the streets.

I took the risk and hired a little Fiat for a couple of days.
Took it up a mountain only to discover the brakes didn't quite work and there was a hole in the footwell :rolleyes:

Top Bottom