Groin pain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Anyone suffer from groin pain after plenty of cycling? What did you do to try and prevent it? What did you do to treat it?
I need a stretch routine, I’ll be squeezing a foam roller for now.
Had Ultrasound and MRI but nothing shows.
TIA. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Saddle too high?
Weak Glutes?

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not really clear about what you mean by groin pain. Under some circumstances the muscle on the inside of my thigh near the groin would scream at me, usually at the top of a climb. I think this is the adductor muscle.

It's a difficult muscle to stretch but if you can find a stretch that works for you it should make the muscle more flexible and relieve the pain. A sideways lunge does it for me.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I'm not really clear about what you mean by groin pain. Under some circumstances the muscle on the inside of my thigh near the groin would scream at me, usually at the top of a climb. I think this is the adductor muscle.

It's a difficult muscle to stretch but if you can find a stretch that works for you it should make the muscle more flexible and relieve the pain. A sideways lunge does it for me.

Yes adductors. Mine is always central pubis bone area. It’s better after stretching but if I tense it then it can be felt. Rest needed. Maybe saddle could do with a mm down. I need a core strength regime really.

Slick

Guru
I damaged my abductor last year on a tough climb, and have never really gotten over it.

Thinking back, there were warning signs that it was weakening, as on longer rides I could feel a swelling at the very top of my leg and I could feel the strength in that leg seeping away. Months of rest and physio failed to help much and any improvement was painfully slow. The pain soon radiated to my hip and groin with no sign of improvement. I had a couple of false dawns when I tried to get back on the bike, only to breakdown again until I went to visit a massage therapist. This girl is brilliant, but she wasn't available so I went to see her husband and I thought he was even better when dealing with deep tissue as you need the strength to make an impact. I did an over night 40 miler for the summer solstice and it was great to feel back to full strength but it started going back the way again soon after, so I need to get back.

As for stretching, I'm rubbish at it, but it is a very difficult area to stretch, so I'm looking forward to seeing suggestions here.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Slick I'm pretty sure I have a video showing the stretch my PT gave me specifically for adductor. I will try to find it this evening - it's probably two years ago.

PT makes me sound like I'm heavily into fitness etc. Not true really. My PT is a cyclist and a good friend, she's currently helping me address some age related issues, reduce weight and contribute to regaining my climbing skills.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
@Slick I'm pretty sure I have a video showing the stretch my PT gave me specifically for adductor. I will try to find it this evening - it's probably two years ago.

PT makes me sound like I'm heavily into fitness etc. Not true really. My PT is a cyclist and a good friend, she's currently helping me address some age related issues, reduce weight and contribute to regaining my climbing skills.

Yeah, that would be good, but I think there will always be a weakness there buy it may be my imagination.

The problem isn't just my abductor, my groin and hip are painful and weak as well. The massage was brilliant, but didn't last long, so I need to make another appointment.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’m starting to think that the pain that seems to radiate from the Groin could be really on the hip.
I bet putting my mountain bike saddle back on my road bike will help. Volt saddle the most comfortable I’ve found.

Slick

Guru
Pardon the pun, but I reckon that whole area is a complete pain in the arris.

Mine seems to move between my groin, hip and lower back, but most recently I could feel it as if its a muscle or nerve that comes from the front of my leg and wraps itself around the bottom of my ass, to the extent that it actually feels like there is twine rou d the very top of my leg that's tightening.

I realise none of that makes any sense, but I really don't know how else to explain it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I googled that, and it is possible but I've had this a long time and Google seems to think that should clear up in a few weeks.

Have you ever had your hip x-rayed/scanned? Groin pain and arthritic hips can go together. Otherwise, has a physio not shed any light?

Slick

Guru
Have you ever had your hip x-rayed/scanned? Groin pain and arthritic hips can go together. Otherwise, has a physio not shed any light?

Been to a couple of physios and the hip is fine, perfect movement, its all the surrounding muscles and connective tissue that the problem. That whole area on one side is a real issue for me, and the only person who has been able to do anything is the masseuse, and he was sweating buckets trying to ease it for me.

Top Bottom