Groupset confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

native son

I am starting to look for a road bike to buy in the next few months, with good quality components. What should I be looking for . SRAM , 105 or campag veloce or better. Any advise welcome.

Will1985

Über Member
Go for the one you like the feel of the best....ergonomics and shifting method. Otherwise there is not much in it.

If you don't want a headache of finding replacement parts such as chains, cassettes or even wheels choose SRAM or Shimano.
If it's an Italian bike, there is only one correct answer :thumbsup:

Trickydicky

I am starting to look for a road bike to buy in the next few months, with good quality components. What should I be looking for . SRAM , 105 or campag veloce or better. Any advise welcome.

With cycling i have found the more u pay usualy the better the quality.
So here is a list of all group sets set in what i believe to be assending quality
http://www.merlincyc...d+Bike/list.htm

I disagree with the super record group set being the best IMO, but i have never tryed it.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've only used SRAM and Shimano, but I prefer SRAM. SRAM Rival I believe is on a par with 105 (maybe Ultegra). SRAM Force would probably be my choice unless you can find SRAM Red for a good price - Force apparently works as well as Red and is just a little heavier.

I have SRAM Red on my best bike and it's just so much better than the Shimano 105/Ultegra on my other bikes.

gavintc

Guru
Go for the one you like the feel of the best....ergonomics and shifting method. Otherwise there is not much in it.

If you don't want a headache of finding replacement parts such as chains, cassettes or even wheels choose SRAM or Shimano.
If it's an Italian bike, there is only one correct answer :thumbsup:

Very good advice. My wife finds Campag better for her smaller hands. I have stuck with Shimano and have had no problems. But equally, on the few occasions I have used Campag, I have quite liked the feel of it. I have never ridden SRAM more than a few kms, so cannot comment.

Top Bottom