Growing your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
strangely, some people cultivate Jerusalem artichokes at the edge of a garden or allotment, as a windbreak.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
strangely, some people cultivate Jerusalem artichokes at the edge of a garden or allotment, as a windbreak.

Strangely?

I have a vegetable plot about 10m x 25m as a small part of the garden.

I’ve tried growing stuff; but, have only succeeded in feeding the local rabbits.

When I lived in a town I thought they were the cuddly black and white bunnies people kept as pets. I didn’t realise it the Leporidae family also included the brown things that are in the garden “the spawn of the devil” that eat everything I plant in the garden :angry: .

We even tried an electric fence and the little bas… darlings learnt that if they ran through it fast enough they didn’t get an electric shock :welcome: .

I’m not a violent person but, I’m thinking of getting a shot gun to control them. :surrender:

As the old joke goes:

What’s got 100 balls and b*ggers rabbits?

A double barrel shot gun

Or perhaps that should be on KristyA’s thread about poor jokes.

Sorry about the rant, I'll get my coat now.

theclaud said:
Cross posting with Baggy and Chuffy! They make some people fart uncontrollably, which is either alarming or hilarious, depending on your point of view. I get on rather better with them and they are superb mashed with spuds, make a uniquely velvety cream soup, and you can grate them raw in salads. the flavour is a little bit like, er, artichokes, funnily enough, although they are not related in any other way...
If only it was just a little extra windiness....
They contain an indigestible sugar, inulin, which causes most people to fart a lot. With others, ie me, it's more like having food poisoning. I was up all night with agonising stomach cramps and regular trips to the loo.

They taste nice though. :surrender:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Chuffy said:
Oh and theClaud, I may have to seek out the source of your sigline. That's hilarious! :welcome:

Bonj is an almost limitless source of these gems - if you can bear to peruse one of his threads for a few minutes, you can have one all of of your very own. :surrender:

Shame about the extreme Jerusalem reaction. There's a fair bit of inulin in lots of good stuff, though - all the alliums have it, I think. Don't tell me they're off the Chuffy menu as well?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Baggy said:
Ironicall I think - as in preventing wind damage, rather than creating blustery havoc...

I see! I plead the general tempo of Friday afternoons as an excuse for being so slow...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have a small area of our garden for our veg... (and we are stealing part of my Dad's allotment for growing Butternut squash after failing 2 years in a row with them in our garden - it will be sunnier and better drained than our clay). One of the best things about growing your own is just going out and picking a handful of fresh rocket for your sandwiches every morning.

We are going to try carrots again for the 3rd time and hope for more sucess than last year when the slugs had the upper hand.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I was on a list for an allotment for I think 2 yrs, and all but forgotten about it when the guy phoned me up after christmas and offered me one, I took it there and then practically unseen as allotments are a rarity in London.
Luckily it had been worked quite well prior to my taking it over so have just had some digging over to do in preperation of planting out some crops.
Have got the Potatos chitting in the Kitchen and they will be going in soon.
Can't wait for the harvest, and the kids quite enjoy rolling around inthe mud too.
:surrender:

theclaud said:
Bonj is an almost limitless source of these gems - if you can bear to peruse one of his threads for a few minutes, you can have one all of of your very own. :surrender:
Oh I know, but that one is a real beauty! :angry:

Shame about the extreme Jerusalem reaction. There's a fair bit of inulin in lots of good stuff, though - all the alliums have it, I think. Don't tell me they're off the Chuffy menu as well?
I'm a very farty person and tend to have a slightly delicate stomach, so the fartichokes are just too much for me to manage. Other stuff is fine, I just get banished to the spare room occasionally...:welcome:

U

User169

Apropros windy veg, When Mrs Delftse Post was a plant scientist she encountered Colin Leakey.

He was trying to breed non-windy beans as I recall and had apparently rigged up some kind of apparatus for determining the, err, after-effects of bean consumption. Said apparatus essentially consisted of a hosepipe up his jacksie connected to a cylinder to collect the "output".

Top Bottom