Growing your own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
We live in a small flat but have an allotment- a plot about 2/3 the usual size. Don't grow our own to save money tho', it's just nice to stick stuff in the ground and watch it grow, and we get to eat it too.

MePower

andylaw79 said:
I've got a 5m square patch of garden behind the garage that I'm putting some raised beds on in the coming months. I know bugger all about growing veg (I don't get on with planted things they tend to die on me) but I'm going to see what happens. What are the easiest things to grow?

When i started out i joined this forum, great for knowing what to put in and when. http://www.allotment.org.uk/

col

Legendary Member
MePower said:
It was all done using reclaimed joists from a fruit and veg shop they were knocking down in Darlington, irony or what? Thanks for the compliment, if i hadnt been given most of the materials, it would be a bare patch of mud. My f in law helps out a lot as well. Raised beds are the way to go, no digging:biggrin:
Go on theclaud, post some pics!

You couldnt tell me which one could you? I had a fruit shop in chandos street for years, we left it a few years ago now, and just wondered?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
MePower said:
It was all done using reclaimed joists from a fruit and veg shop they were knocking down in Darlington, irony or what? Thanks for the compliment, if i hadnt been given most of the materials, it would be a bare patch of mud. My f in law helps out a lot as well. Raised beds are the way to go, no digging:biggrin:
Go on theclaud, post some pics!

Well you've done a fine job. I haven't taken any pics yet this year, on account of it mostly being a wobbly strip of earth covered in horse shite at the moment. But here's one from last year of my friend Amy with some Jerusalem artichokes...

MePower

col said:
You couldnt tell me which one could you? I had a fruit shop in chandos street for years, we left it a few years ago now, and just wondered?

It was EF Mcmahons in Bondgate in the town centre? The place had to be rebuilt, i dont know why it was knocked down, theres a new building there now.

MePower

theclaud said:
Well you've done a fine job. I haven't taken any pics yet this year, on account of it mostly being a wobbly strip of earth covered in horse shite at the moment. But here's one from last year of my friend Amy with some Jerusalem artichokes...

Nice artys. What do you do with them? Got some given last year, but didnt get chance to plant them.

MePower said:
When i started out i joined this forum, great for knowing what to put in and when. http://www.allotment.org.uk/

Waffly, Chuffy and my good self are already members of that forum. Waffly has hens, Chuffy has a big garden.

We're in our 3rd year of allotment growing, and I was up there yesterday sowing our first peas of the year. Broad beans, onions, and garlic have overwintered nicely. I'm chitting potatoes back at the house, and we'll be sowing parsnips, beetroots, carrots, salads etc very shortly. Love this time of year.

theclaud said:
Ah, Jerusalem Artichokes. Easy to grow, high yielding (about 3-5kg from a single plant) and damn nigh inedible. DO NOT try growing these unless you know that you get on with them...;)

In answer to the OP. All types of bean are easy to grow, so are radishes and courgettes. If you only want to try a few things to start with, I'd go for them. Growing veg isn't rocket science (hah, see what I did there?) but it doesn't hurt to try the easy stuff first to get your hand in. On the other hand, get hold of Dr Hessayon's excallent Vegetable Expert book (easy to find and possibly the standard reference guide) and start seed shopping. :laugh:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
MePower said:
Nice artys. What do you do with them? Got some given last year, but didnt get chance to plant them.

If you're us, you harvest about 4kg from two plants and give them away. The after effects of eating them are too horrific to discuss on a public forum. ;)

You can bake them, boil them, make gratin, stick them in soup, drive a stake through their hearts...

Heh, note I cross posted with Chuffy. Jersalem artichokes give us The Fear.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
MePower said:

They're extremely easy. Just bung em in like potatoes, only no need for earthing up. They don't seem fussy about conditions and you get loads. They're related to sunflowers though, and the plants can get 10' tall, so remember to put em somewhere they won't block the sun for smaller plants.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Cross posting with Baggy and Chuffy! They make some people fart uncontrollably, which is either alarming or hilarious, depending on your point of view. I get on rather better with them and they are superb mashed with spuds, make a uniquely velvety cream soup, and you can grate them raw in salads. the flavour is a little bit like, er, artichokes, funnily enough, although they are not related in any other way...

col

Legendary Member
MePower said:
It was EF Mcmahons in Bondgate in the town centre? The place had to be rebuilt, i dont know why it was knocked down, theres a new building there now.

Ah yes I know it, his very large windows used to get smashed quite regularly on friday or saturday nights, I often wondered if that was what closed him, as they are at least a thousand a piece I think?
He has a small shop on low row next to the paper shop still. But Iv not been passed in a while, the last time I was it was up for sale or rent. Looking very tidy, I didnt realise it had been rebuilt.

col

Legendary Member
MePower said:
Yeah, that was one reason. The council moved the bus stop from outside the shop as well, so the biddies didnt shop there anymore.

Of course, I didnt think, the paper shop further down said they were losing something like 2 or 3 hundred a day because of that.

Top Bottom