Grumpy middle aged men on hybrids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
It's different where I live they are the type that usually say hi. The ones that do ignore me, and it is not all of them by the way, are the serious road cyclists all dressed up and the other way to whom you suggest as they are more often than not thin as a rake.

compo

Veteran
No-one speaks to me because they mistake me for a roundabout.

I am over 60, overweight, ride a flat barred hybrid and usually fairly slowly (12mph) in a mid range gear. I find the majority of cyclists nod or acknowledge my existence, usually a good morning as they pass me. I guess it's the difference between city riding and hundreds of cyclists, or rural rides, that I do, and fewer cyclists with more leisure cyclists. I find the weather makes a difference as well. Nice warm sunny mornings and everyone calls out hello. Cold dreary days and people's moods match the weather.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Like any friendly cyclists, I make an effort to say hello to the other cyclist I see. I don't live in a city, so that might only be 20 or so on a ride of a couple of hours. (I can see why someone in London wouldn't do this)

I get a positive response from almost every one. The only exception is men who meet this description:

1. Over 40
2. Overweight
3. Riding a flat bar road bike/hybrid
4. Wearing knee length none cycling shorts
5. Wearing a camelpak or similar rucksack
6. Usually riding very slowly in a low gear

So why are these folk so grumpy? All other cyclists across age ranges and abilities seem to be positive.

Steady, Eddie, I don't want to generalise like you have just done but I find the only ones that normally don't acknowledge with a smile or a wave is the 18 year old, in lycra and spotty face who stare at you if you go to take them on your hybrid, with panniers full and a pair of cords on, bald and mid fifties, it made me smile no laugh out loud in fact at the blank look on the open mouthed face.

Now the grumpy bit, below is a quote from you

Disappointed with Evans, I've got so used to the amazing service from Wiggle and Cycle store that I'm irritated by this delivery taking 4 days

^_^^_^:laugh:

Sandra6

Veteran
I usually get a smile or a hello from most other cyclists, even young lads on mtb's
The ones that tend to be grumpy -or just ignorant - are the mamil's, posh bike, lots of lycra and probably very low mileage. Maybe they don't like being overtaken by a girl on a hybrid?!

Like any friendly cyclists, I make an effort to say hello to the other cyclist I see. I don't live in a city, so that might only be 20 or so on a ride of a couple of hours. (I can see why someone in London wouldn't do this)

I get a positive response from almost every one. The only exception is men who meet this description:

1. Over 40
2. Overweight

So why are these folk so grumpy? All other cyclists across age ranges and abilities seem to be positive.
What do you look like? Maybe your appearance puts people off!

Peter Armstrong

Über Member

1. Over 40
2. Overweight

Yeah I noticed this too, A guy flew past me the other day and said, "Alright pal" I said "yeah thanks m8" as quick as I could because he was moving fast.

So the other day I was passing the above type descriptive person and repeated the "Alright pal" and he just stared at me, wtf?

lejogger

Guru
Unfortunately it's not possible to put all cyclists into a specific 'greeting' category. Cyclists, like humans, are all different, are all subject to different moods, and have different priorities. Some like to wave and shout, some will casually raise their hand or fingers (in a wave, not in THAT way) just a fraction off the bars, some will nod sternly because they're seriously pleased to greet you, and others will stare blankly ahead and ignore you.

What you also have to understand is that not all cyclists are one... If you're a roadie then you can freely nod or wave at all other roadies and you will generally receive a greeting back. Likewise fellow MTB riders will always greet other MTB chums, but may often find themselves ignored by a roadie. It's like all those Minis who flash lights at each other, then wonder why the hell that Suzuki Carry was joining in.
Hybrid riders obviously fall down because of the very nature of their steed. They're neither one nor the other. They don't belong anywhere. :whistle:

You can't force someone to wave back, in the same way that in a nightclub, without a healthy dose of Rohipnol you can't persuade fellow clubbers to join you on the dance floor for a chorus of the 'Hokey Cokey', or 'Superman'...

I, unfortunately am one of these needy people (who requires therapy) that Dragonwight talks about. I have a deep desire to belong to a special army of like-minded folks and get a warm fuzzy feeling every time one of my nods or waves gets a response from a fellow two-wheeled warrior. I pass the same people on my commute and I know exactly what response I will get from each of them. Most couldn't be happier to see me... we are kindred spirits who brave the elements all throughout the year. I'll wave, nod or smile at all riders, unless... they're a chav or a scally without a shirt on with a wilkinsons carrier bag tied over the saddle. I tend to ignore those ones.

There are a couple of commuters who I used to wave to who completely blanked me every time I tried to say hello. Needless to say I've stopped trying now and return their steely gaze without so much as a blink. If I ever met either of them in a nightclub I would most certainly not let them sit behind me if 'oops upside your head' was playing.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
You cannot force anyone no, but still is very rude, If I’m walking down a country lane and say "good Morning" or "Hello" it is polite to say hello back, I wouldn’t dream of just staring at someone who said, Hello to me whether it be on a bike, jogging, walking or whatever. Clearly they haven’t been brought up with manners, and they don’t cost anything, There free! Who knew?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You cannot force anyone no, but still is very rude, If I’m walking down a country lane and say "good Morning" or "Hello" it is polite to say hello back, I wouldn’t dream of just staring at someone who said, Hello to me whether it be on a bike, jogging, walking or whatever. Clearly they haven’t been brought up with manners, and they don’t cost anything, There free! Who knew?

When you're walking - you are generally going much slower and there is less chance of not hearing the other person's greeting or not having enough time to compose an appropriate reply. You are probably concentrating on various things a lot less too (potholes, road kill avoidance, am I in the right gear - ouch that hurts, etc etc.), when walking. It's got nothing to do with a lack of manners. Some folk just 'think about stuff too much'. Just go out and ride and enjoy yourself.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
When you're walking - you are generally going much slower and there is less chance of not hearing the other person's greeting or not having enough time to compose an appropriate reply. You are probably concentrating on various things a lot less too (potholes, road kill avoidance, am I in the right gear - ouch that hurts, etc etc.), when walking. It's got nothing to do with a lack of manners. Some folk just 'think about stuff too much'. Just go out and ride and enjoy yourself.

Im talking about a slow scalp tho, where you pritty much side by side for a while, thats what happened to me when I said hello,

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am similar to Ian, I "ignore" more than I greet. If someone was to wave at me or say Hi, I wouldn't be rude and ignore them, however, I would rarely initiate the exchange.

Quite frankly, if you have some sort of need for people to say hello to you, then the problem IMO lies with you.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Of course they are strangers, and when I ride with the triathlon club on sunday ill be riding with lots of strangers, im even talking to a stranger now!
Stranger Danger! It was only a few seconds, i didnt hold his hand, I tried too, maybe thats why he didnt say hi..........................Joke

Top Bottom