Grumpy middle aged men on hybrids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie

Like any friendly cyclists, I make an effort to say hello to the other cyclist I see. I don't live in a city, so that might only be 20 or so on a ride of a couple of hours. (I can see why someone in London wouldn't do this)

I get a positive response from almost every one. The only exception is men who meet this description:

1. Over 40
2. Overweight
3. Riding a flat bar road bike/hybrid
4. Wearing knee length none cycling shorts
5. Wearing a camelpak or similar rucksack
6. Usually riding very slowly in a low gear

So why are these folk so grumpy? All other cyclists across age ranges and abilities seem to be positive.

Probably pee'd off cos they can't keep up with you. As an ex motor biker, I've always acknowledged fellow riders and do so when cycling, providing they don't ride by too fast!!!!!

Pauluk

May be its the area you live. I commute whenever I can and pass a few cyclists, non of which acknowledge my existence or me theirs. It doesn't bother me. The exception to this is when I slow to ask if they are ok when I see they have broken down.

My experience of ignorant cyclists, if I were to try and generalise would be to say that men under the age of 30ish seem to ride far to fast on shared facilities with little regard to anyone else. I'm sure that's probably not the case, just my imagination.

How any self respecting cyclist can ride a flat bar road bike/hybrid bike in knee length none cycling shorts is beyond me and spinning in a low gear tut tut. :rolleyes:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I'll put in my two penneth..........Compared to 5 years ago, its now not unusual to be blanked when trying to acknowledge a fellow cyclist seen on a ride. I dont mean some body on a bike thats going to the offy to get another pack of Stella, I'm refering to a proper, out of town, you godda be riding for pleasure or as a must, type situation. 5 years ago I could rely on a raised hand, a wave, a nod or or just eye contact, now I would guess that its 50 - 50. I only have about a 25 mile radius to ride out to and back from, and live with my back to the sea, so its a fair chance that alot of the people I see now are the same people I saw then. Its just that these same people seem to have lost any will to acknowledge each other. The only exception seems to be if you meet a group going the other way, then its nearly always a posotive reaction, or, if you've stopped by the roadside and look like you may need help, then its more often than not that ANY cyclist will at least slow to ask if you are ok. I cant explain this change, but I wish it wasnt so. :unsure:

MarkF

Guru
That's funny, I am 50 and ride a hybrid and road bike, on the hybrid, the riders you describe are polite to me, the road bikers ignore me, or worse, offer me unsolicited "advice" (feck off, I can get across the junction safely on my own, I've just ridden across fekkin Spain). Sunday morning and a lycra clad jaunt will see me ignored by my old hybrid friends but welcomed by my new roadie ones. :wacko:

Sometimes,(usually when collecting the shopping) I ride an old GT '90's MTB with panniers, n.o.b.o.d.y is my friend. ^_^

Like any friendly cyclists, I make an effort to say hello to the other cyclist I see. I don't live in a city, so that might only be 20 or so on a ride of a couple of hours. (I can see why someone in London wouldn't do this)

I get a positive response from almost every one. The only exception is men who meet this description:

1. Over 40
2. Overweight
3. Riding a flat bar road bike/hybrid
4. Wearing knee length none cycling shorts
5. Wearing a camelpak or similar rucksack
6. Usually riding very slowly in a low gear

So why are these folk so grumpy? All other cyclists across age ranges and abilities seem to be positive.
Were you on a roadie, they are determined to believe folk on road bikes don't talk to them and get annoyed when you do and the have to try and block it out.

Reactions: GBC

lb81

I only got ignored by one on my ride this morning and it was a middle aged guy on a boardman so shiny it was fortunate I was wearing my sunglasses with matching immaculate kit and he was going very very slowly indeed... :rolleyes:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Are you sure you got an accurate description of the bikes... Perhaps they are just Mountain Bikers??

:whistle:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Theyre probably banned drink drivers :cheers:

Most people seem pretty friendly to me, but then it doesn't bother me if they're not, and i'll have you know my stretchy knee-length mtb baggies are rather comfy :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
The fact is, not all cyclists will wish to acknowledge your waves, but if you want those in your check-list to respond to your waves, then it's you that has to change.
If you were to become over 40, overweight, riding a flatbar roadbike/hybrid,wearing real shorts, a camelbak or rucksack, and cycle slowly in low gear, then most of the guys in your list would wave to you. However, many of the guys who wave to you at present would stop waving, so you must make the decision as to which group of cyclist you wish to exchange greetings with, and try to match them in age, dress and cycling style. I know it's difficult matching the age, but that's life.
I sometimes think inter cyclist relationships on the road are a bit like reverse magnetism, likes attract, unlikes repel.:smile:

Top Bottom