GT Grade Brake upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

I have a GT Grade with the standard tektro mira mechanical disk brakes. I find them very weak, and wondered if anyone could suggest an upgrade, such as a replacement caliper. Not sure what would be compatible. I think the bike is 2015/2016 model. Thanks for any advice.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I upgraded the Miras on my Diverge to TRP Spyres with noticeable improvement in both brake feel and stopping power.
You‘ve also got the option of the TRP HyRd which is a hydraulic caliper operated via cable. Google reviews on these as they seemed a mixed bag to me.
As your bikes 4yrs old, I would change the cable inners and outers at the same time.

lane

Veteran
TRP HyRd I had on my GT grade. After it was stolen I also had them fitted on my new bike. True some don't get on with them the set up needs to be correct but not had an issue myself.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was very, very happy with my Spyres but since swapping out the original pads have not quite found the same bite. I do have some genuine Shimano pads on order so hopefully these will perform better?

lane

Veteran
They have them on Chain reaction, reduced to £42. Do you think they should bolt straight on?

Well they were fitted on my GT grade so probably yes

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks. My grade is post mount. I'm wondering if I need an adaptor as the mounts on my frame are 80mm apart, but the mounts on the new caliper appear closer than this, from looking at their image. I always struggle a bit knowing whether parts will be compatible. Cheers

Justinitus

As far as I’m aware, post mount calliper bolt holes are a standard size, so the adaptors that are already fitted to your existing brakes should fit the new callipers. Just take them off and fit to the new ones - make sure you get them the correct way up!
If you’re replacing the cables, make sure you use a decent quality compression-less outer.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Cheers. No adapters are fitted on this model grade, the caliper bolts straight onto the fork leg. Thought I'd keep the existing cables as they are not too old.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Bought a pair of TRP Spyres on ebay for 60 pounds. I'm still bedding the pads in, but initial impressions: better feel and more breaking power, not mind-blowingly more, but significant and definitely worth the upgrade. They bolted straight on as you said. Plenty of room for adjustment up and down and forward and back. As an average home bike mechanic I found it a simple job. They look great too. Thanks again for your advice guys - really helpful.

Justinitus

Glad you’re pleased with the upgrade - good price too!
Just a small safety recommendation - the QR lever shoulD really be orientated either up or back to avoid accidental opening should it catch on something.

Top Bottom