Guerrilla Pruning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Siclo

Veteran
@MossCommuter which path is this? I suspect our path's do cross occasionally, I'm in Cadishead and ride through Irlam twice daily, pretty much always a drop bar bike, most recognisable by the long blond ponytail, say hello if you spot me.

Cheers
Si

OP
OP
MossCommuter
@MossCommuter which path is this? I suspect our path's do cross occasionally, I'm in Cadishead and ride through Irlam twice daily, pretty much always a drop bar bike, most recognisable by the long blond ponytail, say hello if you spot me.

Cheers
Si
It's between Irlam, down the "new" A57, and then across Risley Moss so we might be on different roads if you're using the "old" road.

I will look out for you though on my blue Genesis Day One Disc

Siclo

Veteran
It's between Irlam, down the "new" A57, and then across Risley Moss so we might be on different roads if you're using the "old" road.

I will look out for you though on my blue Genesis Day One Disc

I'll look for you, I use a combination of the new and old road, when I'm on the new road I tend to use the main carriageway, the cycle path has all these brambles growing across it you know ^_^

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I cleared the path near me recently for the same reasons and normally have hedge trimmers in my bag.

But... the reason it should the "council's job" is that they have fancy sit on lawnmowers which can do what took me two days in minutes I would expect. And surely that is the whole point of a council, we all club together so they can buy proper equipment for this kind of thing and cut a thousand paths with it rather than just the handful I use. I cut my own grass but I don't expect everyone to got into the local park and cut a square metre each.

Some councils clearly do get it, there is a cycle path I use which is well lit, swept a few times a week, drains cleared and everything cut back.

However, head in the other direction and part of my nearest NCR goes through a long, unlit tunnel with a surface borrowed from the NASA moon landing set. Apparently there is "no budget" for lighting although the road it goes under it lit up like a Christmas tree.

If your local council doesn't prioritise cycle paths it is important to badger your local councillor because they can do it properly if they find a fraction of they money they spend improving things for cars.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Once spent a couple of hours lopping on a local railway path. I just chucked the lopped branches further back into the undergrowth. After a while I turned to survey my work full of expectant satisfaction only to see that the previously overhanging branches were now, more or less blocking the path. The dog had been in to the undergrowth and retrieved every one of them for me and was now looking mighty pleased with herself.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
I cleared the path near me recently for the same reasons and normally have hedge trimmers in my bag.

But... the reason it should the "council's job" is that they have fancy sit on lawnmowers which can do what took me two days in minutes I would expect. And surely that is the whole point of a council, we all club together so they can buy proper equipment for this kind of thing and cut a thousand paths with it rather than just the handful I use. I cut my own grass but I don't expect everyone to got into the local park and cut a square metre each.

Some councils clearly do get it, there is a cycle path I use which is well lit, swept a few times a week, drains cleared and everything cut back.

However, head in the other direction and part of my nearest NCR goes through a long, unlit tunnel with a surface borrowed from the NASA moon landing set. Apparently there is "no budget" for lighting although the road it goes under it lit up like a Christmas tree.

If your local council doesn't prioritise cycle paths it is important to badger your local councillor because they can do it properly if they find a fraction of they money they spend improving things for cars.
I don't give a stuff whose job it is I just don't like scratched legs.

Besides, these beggars grow a foot (12 inches, not feet, with toes) over night sometimes.

snorri

Legendary Member
I agree with you regarding official cycle/walking/joint user paths, but there are many unofficial paths, not mapped and often only known about by local people, it is these that I am quite happy to help maintain on a voluntary basis:smile:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom