Guilty of causing serious injury by dangerous driving - 3 years jail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
The video makes for horrific watching.
I can't "like" this, obviously, but I agree 100%. Absolutely shocking.

Imagine if there hadn't been a camera there?

She's a carer for her mum
Yeah, maybe, or maybe when she she broke up with her boyfriend, she moved back in with her parents. But how do you spin that in court? Oh yeah, she's now her mum's carer.

The worst part is claim of domestic abuse. I am with the judge on that, her bf did not orchestrate this assault from the passenger seat. It's an insult to every victim of domestic abuse.

So pregnancy, elder care, and domestic abuse. She's a triple threat! I wonder if she tried to quickly get a PhD so she could add cancer research?

Drago

Legendary Member
Or a contract to play for Leicestershire County Cricket Club!

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/w...nally-jailed/story-30256171-detail/story.html

Some of the crap I've heard given in mitigation over the years would be worth of Danielle Steel or Frederick Forsyth, but things have gone too far with it lately and Courts seem to be less tolerant of bull.

Looking at the tabloid press this week it would seem that getting pregnant just before your court appearance seems to have finally stopped working.

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
Or a contract to play for Leicestershire County Cricket Club!

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/w...nally-jailed/story-30256171-detail/story.html

Some of the crap I've heard given in mitigation over the years would be worth of Danielle Steel or Frederick Forsyth, but things have gone too far with it lately and Courts seem to be less tolerant of bull.

Looking at the tabloid press this week it would seem that getting pregnant just before your court appearance seems to have finally stopped working.

Goodness. If you pick on people who are "not vulnerable" then no offence has been committed eh?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That would be attempt murder in my eyes and she should be banned for life and be doing 5 years at least.

But the cyclist must have been a bit of an idiot as well. I can understand a bit of verbal but it appears that he must have chased her to the next set of lights to kick her mirror.

Once she had driven off. That was the time to let it go.

No excuse for what she did though.

For comparison, the day before

A 16-year-old who stabbed another boy five times in front of families and children on Boxing Day – just for looking at him -has been jailed for eight years and will serve an extra two years on licence.

(Male and - I suspect - black might make more of a difference than the choice of weapon :sad:)

Origamist

Legendary Member
This seems appropriate. Don't approve of kicking someone's mirror mind you, but I'm a pious eejit.

Piety aside, I find it perverse that in a video that shows another human being violently assaulted, that you would want to emphasise the cyclist's behaviour. No mention of the alleged mobile phone use and careless driving, or the deliberate, brutal and horrendous ramming of a vulnerable individual.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For comparison, the day before

A 16-year-old who stabbed another boy five times in front of families and children on Boxing Day – just for looking at him -has been jailed for eight years and will serve an extra two years on licence.

(Male and - I suspect - black might make more of a difference than the choice of weapon :sad:)

Maybe I am generous - but I doubt it and think it was more to do with the crime.

He went equipped with a knife which is premeditated and is illegal. As yet it is not illegal to drive a car. I would also assume that the 'kicking off the door mirror' affected the outcome in court in some way.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Piety aside, I find it perverse that in a video that shows another human being violently assaulted, that you would want to emphasise the cyclist's behaviour. No mention of the alleged mobile phone use and careless driving, or the deliberate, brutal and horrendous ramming of a vulnerable individual.
I'm not sure if I wrote this ambiguously ( I meant the sentencing was appropriate, which is unusual - could have reasonably have been harsher) or if you are criticising me for omitting specifics of the case in an internet forum response.
If it is the latter, I think the perverse aspect is uncalled for. If it makes you feel better to be more pious than me, then bully for you.:thumbsup:
I read the article, as I don't really need to see someone driving someone else off the road. I didn't watch the video; I read that article, and that was the response that I chose to post. If it was terse, I may have been chosen to spend a moment on this forum in between other more important life things.
I still don't approve of damage other people's property, because they used a phone or were brutish towards you. I suspected, being a lover of cycling, a lot of my feelings went without saying.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is not just the outcome in Court that is worrying though. The charge of dangerous driving, for something that looks like one form of assault or another, using a car as a weapon, is just weak.

Would anything else have stuck? I think there would have been uproar if the CPS went for an attempted murder charge and she got off because she did not mean to ram him into a tree.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Attempted murder would never have stuck, because it would be near impossible to prove the intention to kill. Some sort of assault, ABH, GBH, on the other hand should have been possible to prove.

Path of least resistance from CPS and Police I would assume.

Top Bottom