Guilty of causing serious injury by dangerous driving - 3 years jail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I totally disagree. Policemen put themselves in harms way, I am happy for the law to offer them a little extra protection - especially in the UK where most of them are unarmed, so can't protect themselves any better than civilians who don't take extra risks for my sake.

Edit: actually, it's more than that. For our society to work, people need to respect the police. If you can hurt them with the same risk as killing anyone else, then we are all more exposed to danger because the police will have less real authority to protect us. So yes, pursue those who attack the police more vigorously than those who attack civilians.
Then they should have different offences, e.g. obstructing a constable or change the sentencing guidelines so that attacks on police have greater culpability/harm. But having different charging decisions because of who someone is rather than that actual offence is open to abuse.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Get <> expect <> desire
More like Get < expect < desire?

united4ever

Über Member
Very lucky the camera was there - otherwise I guess they would never have tracked her down and his police report would just go into the black hole. How many more similar events are there like this not caught on camera each year? Really got to assess when you face a conflict what you will get out of it...usually nothing so don't get involved in most cases, hard not to when someone nearly causes an accident by being on their phone I suppose.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Very lucky the camera was there - otherwise I guess they would never have tracked her down and his police report would just go into the black hole. How many more similar events are there like this not caught on camera each year? Really got to assess when you face a conflict what you will get out of it...usually nothing so don't get involved in most cases, hard not to when someone nearly causes an accident by being on their phone I suppose.
Indeed, I have been a lot more cautious since a nasty incident where someone followed me swerving all over the road because I challenged her because she overtook me and then immediately slammed on the brakes. A minority of motorists think nothing of using their car as a weapon and if they misjudge it you will die or be seriously injured and the police will likely do sod all.

Top Bottom