GYM’s .... are they worth it ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PS you need to set it every so often because use, dirt on track, dust in flywheel, etc can make it harder to row this increasing the drag factor over time. Reducing the setting corrects this but you need to test the drag factor to maintain consistent machine performance and allow for comparison and consistency between training sessions. Plus allows comparison with others around the world in a level equipment playing field. Drag factor 130 is the same whether in Australia or Austria. That puts your performance solely on you. If you like competition of course.

CXRAndy

Guru
We've got a concept 2 machine. I got for my daughter who rowed at university. Her boyfriends brother is a rower at a university, he's knocking on the door of the UK squad. He can do something like 6 min for 2km.
He works out like 10 times a week, alot in the gym trying to build muscle. That's his issue, tall enough but not packing 100kg in muscle

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was brought up in spit and sawdust boxing gyms from the age of 7 and so the new fangled gyms are totally alien to me. Fortunately we have a little used, but well equipped works gym which I can use for free at any time of the day

Nebulous

Guru
My council gym gave a black friday offer of 4 months for the price of 3. £75 from 1st Dec to 31st March. I've got this idea that as men get older we need to add in some strength work to reduce muscle wastage. I've been doing an hour twice a week, about 40 minutes on the weight machines followed by 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Its too early to tell if its going to do much good, I had almost two weeks off with a viral infection, but I don't expect it to do any harm.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I go to a council gym as well, it's about £30 a month which includes classes. I cycle the 6 mile round trip which probably doubles the amount of exercise that I get.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
As someone who ballooned to 108kg a little over a year ago (despite cycling 3 times a week and posting three century plus rides in the same year) I joined a gym (more accurately went to weight training with a PT) and without much difficulty got down to just over 92kg. I think the key to the success was the PT as opposed to just the gym and crucially (it turns out) it is based solely on weigh training.

5 days ago I picked up a copy of the excellent 'The Midlife Cyclist' by Phil Cavell (bike fitter and designer to a host of top level cyclists) off the back of some positive reviews from the press it (covertly) blames for most of what we do wrong. With much contribution from top drawer cardiologists, osteopaths, nutritionists, etc who deal with top and amateur level sportspeople and their issues. The whole book is predicated on the facts that we aren't yet evolved to be alive past 40 years old, much less athletes and certainly not to ride bikes and science is only now, during our generation catching up with this, because there hasn't been a generation doing what we're doing.

I was overjoyed to find out that weights are one of the single best things you can do for cycling, but it's the other stuff that was as much of a revelation to read. I really can't recommend it enough as a read BEFORE you plan how to shift some timber. Hint: it won't be rowing or swimming.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
As someone who ballooned to 108kg a little over a year ago (despite cycling 3 times a week and posting three century plus rides in the same year) I joined a gym (more accurately went to weight training with a PT) and without much difficulty got down to just over 92kg. I think the key to the success was the PT as opposed to just the gym and crucially (it turns out) it is based solely on weigh training.

5 days ago I picked up a copy of the excellent 'The Midlife Cyclist' by Phil Cavell (bike fitter and designer to a host of top level cyclists) off the back of some positive reviews from the press it (covertly) blames for most of what we do wrong. With much contribution from top drawer cardiologists, osteopaths, nutritionists, etc who deal with top and amateur level sportspeople and their issues. The whole book is predicated on the facts that we aren't yet evolved to be alive past 40 years old, much less athletes and certainly not to ride bikes and science is only now, during our generation catching up with this, because there hasn't been a generation doing what we're doing.

I was overjoyed to find out that weights are one of the single best things you can do for cycling, but it's the other stuff that was as much of a revelation to read. I really can't recommend it enough as a read BEFORE you plan how to shift some timber. Hint: it won't be rowing or swimming.
I took up rowing later in life than most of my contemporaries. I did it to get fitter and chose rowing becuase I'd always found 'everyday' sports boring. I loved it, but quickly found that I needed to do other things including the gym to get fit enough to keep up with my fellow rowers.

vickster

Legendary Member
But for me one of the single most boring!
Much prefer rowing or swimming. I can manage about 15 minutes max of weights machines before zzzzz.
Each to their own

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Much prefer rowing or swimming. I can manage about 15 minutes max of weights machines before zzzzz.
Each to their own
Love weights, the burn, the pump, the lycra :biggrin:

What are we talking about again :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ditched my membership a few years ago after I realised that I only really used a WattBike and Concept2 Rower. I already had a turbo trainer at home so forced by self to get in the habit of using it instead of going to the gym. Once I proved I could do it from home, I bought a Concept2. I now have a Tacx Neo Bike and Concept2 which get used 4 times a week as part of a habit. I ride on Zwift with friends and row using the wonderful videos from https://rowalong.com/

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Each to their own
The point is that resistance loading promoted stronger bones and as we age osteoporosis is an issue - a gradual decline in men and briefly, a precipitous one in women. Swimming and rowing (like cycling) are non-use whatsoever in that regard.

You have to pump some weights and dropping a trading ride or two pays dividends in the long run.

I too find gyms boring. Never stuck at one for more than six weeks. However, a good personal trainer is an entirely different (structured and gain measurable) kettle of fish. The downside is that it costs, but a year on, I have no intention of giving up.

Russ

Julia9054

Guru
The point is that resistance loading promoted stronger bones and as we age osteoporosis is an issue - a gradual decline in men and briefly, a precipitous one in women. Swimming and rowing (like cycling) are non-use whatsoever in that regard
This is my new issue for 2022. I cracked a rib a year ago in trivial circumstances. Went to the GP in September about pain in my hip, mentioned the rib so she sent me for a bone scan. Turns out that, whilst the bone density in my hip is totally fine, my spine is made of feta cheese.
The hip was a tendon issue now totally fixed with physio. I did stretches for my hip flexor, squats and rdls with weights to strengthen my glutes and am continuing with this.
I am now just starting on osteoperosis medication and need some decent weight bearing exercise to add in to my life as all I have done for years is cycle - its the only thing I enjoy.
I bought a skipping rope which arrived yesterday. Christ, it's harder than it looks! Completely knackered after 10 minutes!

I don’t bother with 12 month commitment to the gym as I don’t use in the summer, instead I tend to do PAYG membership. It is a little bit more expensive each month but cheaper over a year.

I use the gym for strength work such as legs press, squats, deadlifts and some brench presses to keep things even. I find when I start the gym in the off season (Oct time) that I don’t lose weight but my body recompensations itself and I lose some body fat but gain muscle. In Jan time, I ditch off the gym and start to run outside and ride my bike. The gains made in the gym show themselves when I start running but I do have to accept my speed will drop as I’m heavier.

simongt

Guru
An advantage of being a warehouseman is that with manually shifting anything from 10kg. boxes to 600kg. pallets of stock every day, who needs a gym - ? :okay:

Free daily workout and I get paid for it - ! :laugh:

Top Bottom