GYM’s .... are they worth it ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is my new issue for 2022. I cracked a rib a year ago in trivial circumstances. Went to the GP in September about pain in my hip, mentioned the rib so she sent me for a bone scan. Turns out that, whilst the bone density in my hip is totally fine, my spine is made of feta cheese.
The hip was a tendon issue now totally fixed with physio. I did stretches for my hip flexor, squats and rdls with weights to strengthen my glutes and am continuing with this.
I am now just starting on osteoperosis medication and need some decent weight bearing exercise to add in to my life as all I have done for years is cycle - its the only thing I enjoy.
I bought a skipping rope which arrived yesterday. Christ, it's harder than it looks! Completely knackered after 10 minutes!
I recommend that you read Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox. You can get it HERE for Kindle/Kindle app for only £1.24.

Blurb for book said:
The secret to avoiding calcium-related osteoporosis and atherosclerosis While millions of people take calcium and Vitamin D supplements thinking they're helping their bones, the truth is, without the addition of Vitamin K2, such a health regimen could prove dangerous. Without Vitamin K2, the body cannot direct calcium to the bones where it's needed; instead, the calcium resides in soft tissue (like the arteries)—leading to a combination of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, or the dreaded "calcium paradox." This is the first book to reveal how universal a Vitamin K2 deficiency is, and the risk (in the form of cancer and diabetes, among other ailments) the absence of Vitamin K2 poses.
Vitamin K2 is lacking in many people's diets now because of changes in agricultural methods.

Good luck!

Julia9054

Guru
I recommend that you read Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox. You can get it HERE for Kindle/Kindle app for only £1.24.

Vitamin K2 is lacking in many people's diets now because of changes in agricultural methods.

Good luck!
Cheers. Just purchased a pot to add to all the other crap I take! I’ll never get out of the house in the morning!

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
This is my new issue for 2022. I cracked a rib a year ago in trivial circumstances. Went to the GP in September about pain in my hip, mentioned the rib so she sent me for a bone scan. Turns out that, whilst the bone density in my hip is totally fine, my spine is made of feta cheese.
The hip was a tendon issue now totally fixed with physio. I did stretches for my hip flexor, squats and rdls with weights to strengthen my glutes and am continuing with this.
I am now just starting on osteoperosis medication and need some decent weight bearing exercise to add in to my life as all I have done for years is cycle - its the only thing I enjoy.
I bought a skipping rope which arrived yesterday. Christ, it's harder than it looks! Completely knackered after 10 minutes!
This is the issue - load bearing means weights. Weights in a gym are boring and worse, without guidance you're just flannelling around ineffectually.

PT solves that, but it costs....

Again I recommend 'The Midlife Cyclist' as a read. The author had a severe spinal issue with complicationsl and was convinced to drop a ride or two in favour of weights. Not by a gym buddy, but by actual science.

Julia9054

Guru
This is the issue - load bearing means weights. Weights in a gym are boring and worse, without guidance you're just flannelling around ineffectually.

PT solves that, but it costs....

Again I recommend 'The Midlife Cyclist' as a read. The author had a severe spinal issue with complicationsl and was convinced to drop a ride or two in favour of weights. Not by a gym buddy, but by actual science.
Just been reading some reviews of the book. It’s aimed at people (men?) who want to “train harder and ride faster”. I don’t train, I just ride my bike! I wouldn’t mind being as fast as I was a few years ago - but even that wasn’t that fast! I have a question - does it cover the differences in physiology between men and women in midlife or does it assume that women are just small men?

CXRAndy

Guru
Taking all the usual caveats. In good physical condition, no major ailments. Weight training is a great way of maintaining bone density, muscle size or growth, joint strength. There's no real physical difference to weight training for men and women, generally just the amount of weight.

Start light and learn good technique to all the lifting, pulling movements.

Two to three times a week 30 mins workout will quickly show development

Top Bottom