GYM’s .... are they worth it ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Health issues and weather are working against me and i’m now the wrong side of 115kg ...
I have controllable heart and blood pressure issues which will not kill me but could mess me up and currently my only exercise is cycling , albeit on the Doncaster / Gainsborough flat lands, 20 - 30 miles once a week.
I’m considering 2 visits a week to a gym for spinning and rowing to help me maintain and improve fitness through the rest of the winter and early spring in addition to my weekly ride.
Has anyone else gone down this road and did it produce reasonable results ??

All uphill

Still rolling along
The obvious thing you have not mentioned is diet, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

If you have time for the gym do you have time for a second bike ride each week?

I've tried gyms a few times and found them desperately boring and expensive; if you enjoy them, though, why not?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just spent 5 minutes trying to guess what GYM is a three letter acronym for! :wacko:

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
The obvious thing you have not mentioned is diet, but I'm sure you are aware of that.

If you have time for the gym do you have time for a second bike ride each week?

I've tried gyms a few times and found them desperately boring and expensive; if you enjoy them, though, why not?
I won’t cycle in the dark or bad visibility so a gym visit before work or after work this time of year would work for me ...

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
The only thing wrong with gyms, at present; is they aren't the best place with a virus running about.
Not bothered about the virus ... I cycle, fly and ride a motorbike ..I understand Risk .. the current crop of viruses are the least of my worries ... but thats just me ...

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If the gym offers a cycle specific spin class it will be great. My experience of such classes is very positive. If it's simply a spin class it will be good for raising your HR but that's about all.

I've never understood the benefits of the rowing machine.

I teach Spin. I'm not convinced that we won't be having another lockdown soon anyway.

If I were you I'd be looking T getting a turbo and doing some workouts at home.

If you have the motivation to get to the gym surely you can motivate yourself to work out at home?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
If the gym offers a cycle specific spin class it will be great. My experience of such classes is very positive. If it's simply a spin class it will be good for raising your HR but that's about all.

In my case it MAY be good for my hips ... but spin really attracts me ....

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi. I am a gym member but my gym is HIIT & lifting classes, with coaches only. I love it as it keeps me motivated.
I am not really a gym lover but finding the right sort of place has really lifted my motivation.

If you find the right place, it’s definitely worth it.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
I teach Spin. I'm not convinced that we won't be having another lockdown soon anyway.

If I were you I'd be looking T getting a turbo and doing some workouts at home.

If you have the motivation to get to the gym surely you can motivate yourself to work out at home?

I have a turbo .... i would rather stick hot pins in my eyes than go down that road again ... I want the structure of leaving the house and exercising and coming home ...
The gym will be on my way to or from work and will be part of my working day not in addition ...
Respect to you Spin Teacher ... i’ve been to 3 taster sessions ... harder than a 50 TT ...:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Go to the council gym on a PAYGO and it wont be much.Walk there and back as well or do a swim after the class as well.
In some areas you can get a discount on the council gym if you are overweight as well though the G.P.
Losing weight is a lot more to do with what you eat.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought the rowing machines were great!

I used to do a 20-30 minute warm-up on a gym bike with a massive flywheel, then switch to a Concept2 rowing machine.

Cycling did enough for my cardiovascular system and legs, but nothing much for my upper body. The rowing machine definitely got the other half working. If I could afford one and had the space, I would buy one.

Top Bottom