Gym/Weight training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Must say, gym and Zwift bores the hell out of me. Thinks about it for a mili-second, get's on bike in the 'fresh air'.

Fresh air being wind, rain, minus seven, occasional sunshine. I 'should' do weights being in my mid 50's, but...

Load bearing exercise is better at preserving bone density and muscle though, especially as you age, even press ups and pull ups will do that far better than just cycling.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Load bearing exercise is better at preserving bone density and muscle though, especially as you age, even press ups and pull ups will do that far better than just cycling.

Press-ups especially are the daddy - I used to think they were just about the arms but having got past the point where I can only do one I now appreciate how they hammer the core and bits of the leg too.

Apparently weights are also good for preserving / boosting testosterone production too, while cardio isn't.

Julia9054

Guru

I recall a TV programme (Michael Moseley, I think) when they measured the bone density of different types of athletes and a group of similar aged non-athletes. The cyclists had lower bone density than the non athletes.

CXRAndy

Guru
Question for the gym goers
Do you get the same training effect from doing 5 sets x 6 reps as 3 x 10 reps? I've found with 5x6 I can lift a bit more weight, but am I missing out on some muscle endurance?

Reason for lifting is to maintain muscle strength and bone density as I've passed the 60 milestone a couple of years ago

For hypertrophy lift slow with good form, keep going to failure. It doesn't matter whether you lift 15 reps per set or 5 reps/set. With less weight and more reps you can guard against injury -especially with good slow form.

I follow Jeff Nippard. A natural bodybuilder. Has lots of good sensical weight lifting advice

https://www.youtube.com/@JeffNippard

Top Bottom