Gym/Weight training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm well past going for 1 rep max or max load, being as I am on relatively light weights. Honed and slightly bulked is the name of the game.

Were I going for a total rip or max bulk as I have when younger I'd be chasing a different routine and diet. As the level I find myself st now I'm at no more risk of overtraining than someone who jogs each day, although very kind otmyou to be concerned. 1 week off in 8 provides further relief.

My physical stats at 55 speak for themselves.

Drzdave58

Über Member
I'm well past going for 1 rep max or max load, being as I am on relatively light weights. Honed and slightly bulked is the name of the game.

Were I going for a total rip or max bulk as I have when younger I'd be chasing a different routine and diet. As the level I find myself st now I'm at no more risk of overtraining than someone who jogs each day, although very kind otmyou to be concerned. 1 week off in 8 provides further relief.

My physical stats at 55 speak for themselves.
I hear ya but I believe your overall fitness and muscle strength is being negatively impacted by overtraining. Your strength and fitness will actually improve by changing your routine slightly and you will feel better as well. Any fitness expert will tell you 3 x a week for each body part is too much. Some actually only train each part once per week. The time you spend training the 3rd day is actually being wasted.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive tried it all over near on 4 decades. There is nothing that works better for me for the age I am now, for the results I desire, for the level I am at. For hypertrohphy each muscle group should be trained 2 to 3 days per week with at least 48 hours separating the same muscle group, that's the basic premise.

if any other 55 year old out there has pipes bigger than 19" or a chest bigger than 54" and, most importantly, achieves it from a relatively modest investment in time workout wise then I will be keen to hear their wisdom. Until then...

Drago

Legendary Member
I've been to a few of those, always a better option.

In my late teens I went to one that was run by a guy who was into Olympic weight lifting, he was proper old school as noticed by him once telling me that fish and chips was a very under rated meal, 'you've got your protein in the fish, carbs in the chips, and vitamins and minerals in the peas.'

Then in my thirties I went to a bodybuilding place in an old mill just up the road, the thing I remember about that place was the sign on the back of the changing room door,' stop dealing drugs in my gym, I know who you are and when I catch you at it you're barred.' 🤣
My SiL the rugbyist is a powerlifter, much more into it than I was at his age, and we call him the Fridge because of the amount of anything he puts away.

I've been to gyms all round the world, posh ones, dungeons, and in between. I've seen the juice being passed about in all types - very unfashionable now, its insulin or human growth hormone that gets abused these days - and the only gym where somone approached me personally with them was a police gym. Several days later he got himself in trouble, and subsequently sacked, for torturing a prisoner for information (Milton Keynes is clearly much like Iraq in that regards) so I didn't need to grass him myself. Probably just as well as possession is not an offence and I'm sure he would have denied trying to punt them off on me and it would have been a lot of headache for me personally for a very uncertain outcome at the time.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Ive tried it all over near on 4 decades. There is nothing that works better for me for the age I am now, for the results I desire, for the level I am at. For hypertrohphy each muscle group should be trained 2 to 3 days per week with at least 48 hours separating the same muscle group, that's the basic premise.

if any other 55 year old out there has pipes bigger than 19" or a chest bigger than 54" and, most importantly, achieves it from a relatively modest investment in time workout wise then I will be keen to hear their wisdom. Until then...

I'm 64 and still bench press 275lbs so am still doing ok. I weigh 190 lbs. I've been hitting the gym since I was 16. You are obviously doing something right but i think your overall fitness would improve by dedicating 2 workouts per week to core rather rather than weight training.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a couple of dumbells when traiing outside , about 30 llbs each so very light combined with a couple of garden chairs and a training mat
outdoor routine
crunches 50
twisting crunches 50-70
single leg hip thrusts 15 each leg x2
clean and press with dumbells 12-15 reps
torso twists with pole 30
australian push ups 12-15 reps ( nowhere for a pull up bar this is a form of row exercise )
reverse lunges with dumbells 10-15 reps each leg
australian push ups 12-15 reps
press ups 40-45 reps
dead lift with dumbells 20 reps
stretch routine
When indoors i use a total gym to perform similar exercises
imageService

Drago

Legendary Member
I use a couple of dumbells when traiing outside , about 30 llbs each so very light combined with a couple of garden chairs and a training mat
outdoor routine
crunches 50
twisting crunches 50-70
single leg hip thrusts 15 each leg x2
clean and press with dumbells 12-15 reps
australian push ups 12-15 reps ( nowhere for a pull up bar this is a form of row exercise )
australian push ups 12-15 reps
press ups 40-45 reps
dead lift with dumbells 20 reps
stretch routine
When indoors i use a total gym to perform similar exercises
imageService
Those devices are great. Got a similar one myself. Very versatile bit of kit.

Motivation for cycling these days is zero. However I recently joined the local gym , I’m going with one of my sons mostly for his mental health and wellbeing. However I actually feel quite motivated to go myself now. Any Advice for good program to follow?

when I join a new gym I roam around trying different things. seeing what is popular & what is not. the popular stations will likely have more ppl using them. so if you like it, you might have to wait to use it, which is a drag

the lunchtime crowd seems pretty laid back & it's not as busy as after work

I like to build a routine & it can be referred to as the # of sets x the number of reps at each station, w/ any # of stations. for a example a 5x5 means you go around the selected stations 5 times (that's sets) & you do 5 movements at each station (that's reps). so 5 barbell curls, 5 pushups, 5 lat pulls, 5 leg presses, etc. then go around 4 more times. it's pretty efficient. the trick is selecting the stations, the weights, the sets & the reps. (for example, it doesn't have to be 5x5). once you get that under your belt, you can change it to suit the gym & your own needs. currently, I have a routine w/ 14 stations, I go around only 2 times & each station has it's own diff. weight & # of reps. (most are 15 reps, some are more) I have an hour for lunch, so this fits nicely including a quick shower before going back to the office

start light & easy then gradually build on your routine. the worst thing you can do, is too much. too much weight, or too many reps. 5 bicep curls, 5 times is enough to build a base on, say over 6 months. just tweak the weight gradually but then settle in on a certain weight & use that same weight for what might like a long time, weeks or months. at some point you will realize you've reached your limit & just can't go over that

48 hours rest between workouts allows the muscles to repair & build. that's why some ppl will do arms one day & legs another day. so they go 4 times a week, but only do arms & legs twice a week. I choose to do everything in one day & go only twice a week

gains can be made with different parameters doing the same thing every day but it can be tricky. for example some things you can do every day are walking & cycling, even swimming, depending on how you do it. weight training for muscle gain is different. you can't max out your biceps one day & go back the next day or even the day after & expect to do the same thing. 2 days off in between those max workouts

young kids often want fast large results. this often results in disappointment, injury & diminished motivation. you want success, so keep your expectations realistic, even if they seem disappointing. over time, you will be pleased & proud of your accomplishments

Drzdave58

Über Member
when I join a new gym I roam around trying different things. seeing what is popular & what is not. the popular stations will likely have more ppl using them. so if you like it, you might have to wait to use it, which is a drag

the lunchtime crowd seems pretty laid back & it's not as busy as after work

I like to build a routine & it can be referred to as the # of sets x the number of reps at each station, w/ any # of stations. for a example a 5x5 means you go around the selected stations 5 times (that's sets) & you do 5 movements at each station (that's reps). so 5 barbell curls, 5 pushups, 5 lat pulls, 5 leg presses, etc. then go around 4 more times. it's pretty efficient. the trick is selecting the stations, the weights, the sets & the reps. (for example, it doesn't have to be 5x5). once you get that under your belt, you can change it to suit the gym & your own needs. currently, I have a routine w/ 14 stations, I go around only 2 times & each station has it's own diff. weight & # of reps. (most are 15 reps, some are more) I have an hour for lunch, so this fits nicely including a quick shower before going back to the office

start light & easy then gradually build on your routine. the worst thing you can do, is too much. too much weight, or too many reps. 5 bicep curls, 5 times is enough to build a base on, say over 6 months. just tweak the weight gradually but then settle in on a certain weight & use that same weight for what might like a long time, weeks or months. at some point you will realize you've reached your limit & just can't go over that

48 hours rest between workouts allows the muscles to repair & build. that's why some ppl will do arms one day & legs another day. so they go 4 times a week, but only do arms & legs twice a week. I choose to do everything in one day & go only twice a week

gains can be made with different parameters doing the same thing every day but it can be tricky. for example some things you can do every day are walking & cycling, even swimming, depending on how you do it. weight training for muscle gain is different. you can't max out your biceps one day & go back the next day or even the day after & expect to do the same thing. 2 days off in between those max workouts

young kids often want fast large results. this often results in disappointment, injury & diminished motivation. you want success, so keep your expectations realistic, even if they seem disappointing. over time, you will be pleased & proud of your accomplishments

You make some good points. I’m reading a lot that 72 hours rest before working out the same muscle group is highly recommended for optimal muscle recovery and growth.

You make some good points. I’m reading a lot that 72 hours rest before working out the same muscle group is highly recommended for optimal muscle recovery and growth.

I believe that. my late Father who passed less than a year ago at 94, once told me, something to the effect of: "rest is highly under rated" meaning rest is good & you should do it

but like I alluded to earlier. after I skipped the gym for 2 years due to covid closures, I started going back, with a mask, every week day, at lunchtime, mostly just to get my body moving. light weights on the whole 14 station circuit every day of my work week was perfect. my whole body had been dormant so I needed to wake it up safely. even some stations w/ zero weight, just to make sure I was making the correct arm & leg movements correctly. the gym was a ghost town so I didn't feel silly. now I only go twice a week & max out all my sets, reps & weights, just enough that I can't do any more & always within my capabilities

but something is better than nothing, eh?

Drago

Legendary Member
Something is absolutely better than nothing.

I have a religious once a week rest day (well, it is on a Sunday!) and every 8 weeks off. I'm big, I feel great, it's working well. I take no notice of smaller people trying to tell me I'm doing it all wrong.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Crikey - some intimidating numbers flying around in this thread...

From the other end of the spectrum I've been making more of an effort recently; partially out of insecurity / vanity and partially due to the knowledge that I'm aging towards solitude in an era of diminishing social care.

I've played with dumbells on and off but never "seriously" and have never seen any improvements in my potato-body-with-matchstick-arms shape. Problems have typically been that I find isolated exercises boring while I've always had issues with my neck and tension headaches.

The former problem has been helped by making the exercises more interesting by combining numerous into one cycle, while the tension headaches have been pretty much elimated by post-exercise traction courtesy of dangling by my arms off a beam in the house.. usually with a satisfying accompanyment of pops and cracks :smile:

For a while I've been doing a DIY lift with dumbells that involves various movements to get them from hanging by my sides to above my head and back again. I'm also trying to supplement this with overhead tricep extensions since these don't see much action otherwise, press-ups and renegade rows..

I find the press-ups less appealing, however have made good progress from being literally unable to do any when I was younger to managing 10 now; not terrible relatively-speaking, considering I'm carrying a fair bit of excess upper-body mass.

The renegade rows are great for seemingly exercising everything (and are correspondingly punishing) however I've had problems in the past with over cooking it and pulling muscles in my neck and core. I could really do with some lighter weights for these and can't be bothered to mess about with the 1.5 sets of dumbells I have (although would pick up another set if I could find some locally - irritatingly saw some apparently discarded outside a house some time ago but it was impractical to collect them).

There's certainly no informed, planned training regime (I just do a few exercises throughout the day when I feel like it) and it's probably not a very well rounded or efficient approach, however for the first time ever with weights I've actually seen some improvements..

My arms feel bigger and my muscles now actually limit the range of movement if I fold my arm back on itself at the elbow. My upper arms now fill out T-shirt sleeves fairly convincingly rather than looking like a broomstick hanging out of a wizard's sleeve and I can feel clothes are tighter around my shoulders / neck / upper-chest area; a much more positive feeling than the usual growing tightness around the dad-tits and belly.

If I flex my arms there's actually visible definition to the biceps while before the area was literally flat with barely any visible difference between relaxed and tensed states. I'm evidently physically stronger too, as I notice less issue moving specific, heavy household items about than I have in the past.

While I'm probably less muscular / strong than average it's great to have made some improvement and it's given me something positive to focus on while I struggle with my diet and degrade otherwise through age and weight gain. I'm hoping I can continue to make gains and maybe improve my aesthetic more when I eventually manage to get my eating under control / get out on the bike more over the summer.

It's nowt compared to those who do this sort of stuff "properly" but nevertheless nice to see what can be achieved at home with a set of weights that probably cost about as much as a month's gym membership :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom