Gym/Weight training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started training

5DA459B4-1260-4A85-AAD2-73186E5A08AA_4_5005_c.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A mate of mine has recently become single in his mid '40s - he's riding the mid-life-crisis like a don an has a little home gym setup; with a bench, some free weights and a pullup frame hanging off the wall with some dangly-hoops for added terror.

We had lots of fun round there on NYE - I'm very jealous of his setup although doing OK with my dumbells and pressups; all things considered :smile:

CXRAndy

Guru
Tried out new cable attachment in anger today. Nice addition with some variety of pulling exercises as opposed to push.

I might in the future, change the bottom pulley for a swivel type to aid shoulder exercises, but for now it works satisfactory in that regard

simongt

Guru
When I retired last May, the GLW suggested I join a gym to make up for the considerable physical exercise I'd been getting for years as a warehouseman. Did so for a while, but then I joined the local Trust for Conservation Volunteers.
Two days a week, lifting, bending, shifting, carrying, walking; I realised who needs the gym - ?
Outside in most weathers, fresh air, good company, much entertaining banter, helping the environment and saving myself £60 a month in gym fees.
Win, win all round; result - ! :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
It's a really good option to be active. I prefer to do specific exercises from weights, race indoors on Zwift .

This has the benefit of being able to do outdoor activities.

Swings and roundabouts I guess

wafter

When I retired last May, the GLW suggested I join a gym to make up for the considerable physical exercise I'd been getting for years as a warehouseman. Did so for a while, but then I joined the local Trust for Conservation Volunteers.
Two days a week, lifting, bending, shifting, carrying, walking; I realised who needs the gym - ?
Outside in most weathers, fresh air, good company, much entertaining banter, helping the environment and saving myself £60 a month in gym fees.
Win, win all round; result - ! :okay:

I have a mate who works as a landscape gardener and he's properly built / toned as a result. Certainly always better to gain muscle and fitness from productive "real" exercise... although for those of us whose lifestyles lack such opportunities, "synthetic" substitutes are better than nowt :smile:

Slick

Guru
I have a mate who works as a landscape gardener and he's properly built / toned as a result. Certainly always better to gain muscle and fitness from productive "real" exercise... although for those of us whose lifestyles lack such opportunities, "synthetic" substitutes are better than nowt :smile:

I'm not sure real world is better.

Most of my issues are from years of real world and it might have been nice to some energy left for other forms of specific exercise.

wafter

I'm not sure real world is better.

Most of my issues are from years of real world and it might have been nice to some energy left for other forms of specific exercise.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm idealising it somewhat but I remain a firm believer in living an active lifestyle the maintain fitness rather than having to go out of your way to suppliment an unhealthy existance with gym membership etc.. not that I really manage this other than the commute and utility riding - although I guess that's better than some manage :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Since I moved I have backed right off.

I'm still lifting 6 times a week, still rotating through body parts as the days roll by, but I'm lifting much lighter and sticking to dumbells only for several reasons.

My recently diagnosed liver problems has meant radical changes to my diet, so I can't eat the volume I used to in order to get the protein.

As a result I'm getting much leaner. I've always had a good back and chest and I'm still hivering around 52" there, but I've gone down as waist size and look leaner and a bit more athletic and wiry. Still bulky on the ams and shoulders, but a little less volume and a lot more definition. As I gwad into the second half of my fifties it's not a bad look, and Mrs D reckons it makes me look much younger than I am (shucks!)

So I'm heading down from a 277lbs for my 192cm loftiness, to probably end up around 235.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’m cancelling my gym membership ( donation ) not been for quite a few months…… and to be honest I really do not have the time nor motivation . I’m fairly active but certainly a hell of lot less fitter than when I used to cycle everyday . My knee is once again giving me hell , so limits me . On my good days though I can do a 6 mile walk with my furry pal ! So not all bad !

Red17

Veteran
Question for the gym goers
Do you get the same training effect from doing 5 sets x 6 reps as 3 x 10 reps? I've found with 5x6 I can lift a bit more weight, but am I missing out on some muscle endurance?

Reason for lifting is to maintain muscle strength and bone density as I've passed the 60 milestone a couple of years ago

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say, gym and Zwift bores the hell out of me. Thinks about it for a mili-second, get's on bike in the 'fresh air'.

Fresh air being wind, rain, minus seven, occasional sunshine. I 'should' do weights being in my mid 50's, but...

srshultz

You have been given a lot of valuable advice and I would like to offer a few bits of general philosophy.
1. Form is more important than weight. Search out trainers or videos that show you proper form and use the amount of weight that causes failure in 10 to 15 reps with perfect form on every rep. (Jeff C on AthleneX.com is excellent for demonstrating proper form)
2. Perform each rep “slowly “. Twice as long on the release as the power stroke.
3. Do 4sets for each muscle group progressively. 65% of max weight ,first set. 75% of max 2nd set, etc.
4. Challenge your muscles, don’t kill them.
5. Enjoy your workout. If you hate what you’re doing you won’t want to continue.
6. Develop a workout plan. Plan to hit each muscle group at least once a week.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom