Gyms.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
I used to tease my boss - he drove to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle. He did see the irony to be fair
So do I, but gym is near work not home, and an hour interval training on a watt bike is far better for what I want to achieve than what I could in the same time on my road bike. Horse for courses and all that.

MarkF

Guru
I think l paid £20 a month, it was in a great location on the canal near Saltaire. It went bust about 6 months ago, strangely another 2 have opened since within half a mile. There must be 6 mega gyms within a 2 mile radius of my house + 3 expensive health centres, 2 council pool ones and a couple of rough meathead ones.

I now pay £10 a month in a charity funded boxing gym, nobody seems to use the weights/cardio room, they are all boxing. It's like having my own gym, at 56 l need one to keep the shape l want, walking a dog or cycling cannot do that.

www.theliongym.co.uk

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
When younger I enjoyed going to the gym. At first I joined the council one but it really was dirty. Then I joined the big one that went bust (cant recall the name) but eventually that became dirty eg chewing gum in the bottle holder-still there weeks later.
As we had a spare room we put a bench in there and enjoyed that for a few years.
As an old fart I now just do light weights, cycle and play golf.
As others have said its horses for courses (golf courses in my case:laugh:).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
'Up & Active ' it's called. I haven't heard anything about reductions.
It might be worth asking? The reduction I would get is nearly £55 a year.

I did the calculations and worked out that I would need to average about 3 sessions a week to make it worth me getting a membership so I didn't bother. Given that I have not been to the local leisure centre even once in over 4 years, I made the right choice! :laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
What kind of fool goes out in the rain and risks getting run over by mad car drivers?

I go to the gym and ride on an exercise bike for an hour, never need to oil it or change a puncture, in fact no maintenance at all. Then when I've done that I hit the weights to load up my skeleton in a way that cycling never can.

Ride a bike outside, are you mad?

Now where's the right smiley for this? :smile:

To be fair though I do laugh at people who I see park in the yellow hatched area near the loading ramp at my gym, all because the nearby parking spaces are full and the nearest one is a good forty yards away.

AndyRM

XOXO
I haven't got a TV.

snorri

Legendary Member
I used to tease my boss - he drove to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle. He did see the irony to be fair
Perhaps real cycling is discouraged, like at my local leisure centre where the cycle parking is in the old wheelie bin area and not easy to access.
There's a clear wish to keep bicycles out of sight and out of mind.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My nearest gym is a minimum of 2 hours each way which includes a ferry journey. In winter I could be stuck away from home at least overnight and possibly longer with gale force winds. A different world from you lot. I just have to cycle when possible but this is very weather dependent. In the past I did go out in force 8 and over but those days are past I fear.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Who needs them? Between walking the dog and cycling, I think I am fitter now than I was 8 years ago when I restarted cycling, and , apart from the initial cost of buying the bike (s) , it cost me nothing to go out whenever I want, wherever I want. Win, win situation. No obligation to go, no monthly fees to pay. Who needs a gym then?

aSl9ybx.jpg

Top Bottom