Gyms.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Even swimming pools are just boring.

I kind of got back into swimming at the local pool,but I've gone off it again. It's not just the obsessive 'I have to do at least 50 lengths or it's pointless doing it' thoughts,but the council also operate a discrimination policy with the 'baths'. They have 3 female only sessions a week,but no male only ones. I'd rather there wasn't any rather than give males their own sessions too. It's not just me,other men have complained that it makes you feel like a second class citizen. One bloke told me that he was told off for jumping the gun and entering the pool one minute before the women's session was over, Not being 'sexist' here,but from what I've seen women just go there to faff about and talk in the pool. I've seen one woman doing serious lengths,but the others seem to keep their heads out the water so as not to ruin their hair and do the doggie paddle stroke.:rolleyes:

AndyRM

XOXO
I kind of got back into swimming at the local pool,but I've gone off it again. It's not just the obsessive 'I have to do at least 50 lengths or it's pointless doing it' thoughts,but the council also operate a discrimination policy with the 'baths'. They have 3 female only sessions a week,but no male only ones. I'd rather there wasn't any rather than give males their own sessions too. It's not just me,other men have complained that it makes you feel like a second class citizen. One bloke told me that he was told off for jumping the gun and entering the pool one minute before the women's session was over, Not being 'sexist' here,but from what I've seen women just go there to faff about and talk in the pool. I've seen one woman doing serious lengths,but the others seem to keep their heads out the water so as not to ruin their hair and do the doggie paddle stroke.:rolleyes:

Yeah, you are.

There are a lots of excellent reasons for women only sessions, several of which your post highlights.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yeah, you are.

There are a lots of excellent reasons for women only sessions, several of which your post highlight.
Ha! I knew my little bait dangling at the end would bring out a 'pro feminist', who in the past have conveniently ignored my posts asking why men face sexual discrimination this way.
Please tell me/us why you think men should be discriminated against not only by the council's recreation department, but in other ways as well.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ha! I knew my little bait dangling at the end would bring out a 'pro feminist', who in the past have conveniently ignored my posts asking why men face sexual discrimination this way.
Please tell me/us why you think men should be discriminated against not only by the council's recreation department, but in other ways as well.

If you honestly think that a few hours of women only sessions at a gym are discriminatory then take it up with the management.

If you can't see why they are a good thing, then I doubt I can convince you.

MarkF

Guru
I used to love going to the gym to get ripped, clang weights loudly, and grunt a lot. However, unlike many of my fellow meatheads, many of whom were either plain prats or growth hormone abusing prats (for all the talk one hears no one has done steroids since the 80's) I didn't try and intimidate females or gentlemen of smaller stature, and would happily spot for them or answer questions.

Now I don't powerlift or bodybuild any more and don't have access to a subsidised gym I have quite an extensive free weight set up at home, with bench, leg accessories, rack, rower and stepper. I can be out of bed at 0645hrs when Mrs Ds alarm goes off, straight into my dungeon, and have had a good session within half an hour. Beefcake!

Yep, l never use machines, don't believe in them, only free weights. It was pleasing to find my new boxing gym only advocating the use of free weights.

I've thought about getting some for the cellar or garage but the gym is only £2:30 per week & 10 mins cycling away.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

How about some men, make some women feel uncomfortable with their comments, and judgements, and aggressive 'space taking' in many areas of life.

Including in sports, and recreation spaces..

Perhaps on account of their sense of entitlement, and belief that the way they do things is inherently superior, and that their needs, and rights, should take priority .

Apparently some men are unaware of this problem.

You've just demonstrated this with your jibes at the way you view how these women swim.

What's so great about the way you do it??

Such a superior attitude.

Also many many women have endured physical abuse at the hands of men, leering looks, comments, and behaviour that can make them feel threatened, and uncomfortable.
Particularly when in a state of semi- undress.

It's a fear, and caution taking instinct, instilled in women from an early age.

Not entirely without foundation, because some men do behave despicably towards women, in public (and private) spaces

Many women would prefer the option of not swimming in close proximity to men, especially given, that some men appear to have no sympathy for these issues.

What do you mean by pro-feminist??

To me a feminist means someone who believes women should have the same rights, and freedoms, as men.

These equal rights haven't manifested yet..

Not surprising really, given all of above.

If you feel uncomfortable swimming in close proximity to women, maybe you could lobby your council to have men only pool sessions.

If you can get enough guys together who would wish for the same, and who could make it a viable proposition.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How about some men, make some women feel uncomfortable with their comments, and judgements, and aggressive 'space taking' in many areas of life.

Including in sports, and recreation spaces..

Perhaps on account of their sense of entitlement, and belief that the way they do things is inherently superior, and that their needs, and rights, should take priority .

Apparently some men are unaware of this problem.

You've just demonstrated this with your jibes at the way you view how these women swim.

What's so great about the way you do it??

Such a superior attitude.

Also many many women have endured physical abuse at the hands of men, leering looks, comments, and behaviour that can make them feel threatened, and uncomfortable.
Particularly when in a state of semi- undress.

It's a fear, and caution taking instinct, instilled in women from an early age.

Not entirely without foundation, because some men do behave despicably towards women, in public (and private) spaces

Many women would prefer the option of not swimming in close proximity to men, especially given, that some men appear to have no sympathy for these issues.

What do you mean by pro-feminist??

To me a feminist means someone who believes women should have the same rights, and freedoms, as men.

These equal rights haven't manifested yet..

Not surprising really, given all of above.

If you feel uncomfortable swimming in close proximity to women, maybe you could lobby your council to have men only pool sessions.

If you can get enough guys together who would wish for the same, and who could make it a viable proposition.

Some good points there that I hadn't thought about before. Maybe that's because i'm not one that leers at women. As for us men asking for a male only session, as I said earlier, I wouldn't want that as much as I wouldn't want a female only session.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Some good points there that I hadn't thought about before. Maybe that's because i'm not one that leers at women. As for us men asking for a male only session, as I said earlier, I wouldn't want that as much as I wouldn't want a female only session.

I'm sure you don't leer at women (or ill take it on trust that you don't) but you must understand (or even have noticed) that many other men do, and treat them disrespectfully ??

Until we create* a society where women feel safe and comfortable in all these situations, then we might need to keep on with women only environments.

*that can only happen with the active understanding, engagement and participation of guys though can't it, Them actually seeing the reality and doing something, not just shrugging and going "Not my problem, matey" ??

I'm ridiculously lucky here.

A beautiful five mile bike ride to a beach where I can swim safely, and happily with no clothes on at all.

Would that everyone had that privelege.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm with our Perthshire correspondent. Even swimming pools are just boring. I do lots of upper body stuff in the garden as well as cycling and walking. No such thing as bad weather - only inappropriate clothing.

In your opinion pools are boring, I quite enjoyed my hour in the pool this morning and was not bored at all.

Drago

Legendary Member
Andy doesn't strike me as the sort of chap who'd leer.

old-man-steptoe.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

With respect... what the feck has it got to do with you? A bloke complaining about 'women only sessions' is like complaining about disabled parking spaces when you're able bodied, or parent/child parking spaces when you don't have kids. Get a grip man! :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Are you asking me, or putting words into my mouth? The wording presupposes the former, which is most ungentlemanly, not to mention factually incorrect.

Just checking, for the avoidance of doubt.

The asking was indeed the former.

So not really too impertinent

Very happy to hear that all gentlemanly behaviour is firmly in place

No gauntlets need be thrown, nor pistols fired at dawn.

:angel:

Top Bottom