Gyms.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
t might be worth asking? The reduction I would get is nearly £55 a year.

Ok,i'll ask about it tomorrow. I'm having a rare night off tonight, after I climbed The Empire State Building twice last night.:whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Then I joined the big one that went bust (cant recall the name) but eventually that became dirty eg chewing gum in the bottle holder-still there weeks later.

It's like that at the council run one I go to.Honestly,the wooden tiled floor has ingrained muck on it from all the sweat and body droppings etc.xx( Every now and then one of the staff will vacuum it,but it never gets mopped apart from when someone spills something on it. The other week some bloke on the recumbent bike had sweat pouring down his arms forming small puddles on the floor. A month alter the stains were still there. Then staff and customers wonder why I anti- bac spray the machines before I use them!:rolleyes:

lane

Veteran
I pay for a few months over winter gives me some more options. Quite enjoy a bit of a change from just riding my bike enjoy some swimming. Bit of cross training probably a good thing as well. Probably costs me £100 to £150 a year - not a lot in the scheme of things.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to love going to the gym to get ripped, clang weights loudly, and grunt a lot. However, unlike many of my fellow meatheads, many of whom were either plain prats or growth hormone abusing prats (for all the talk one hears no one has done steroids since the 80's) I didn't try and intimidate females or gentlemen of smaller stature, and would happily spot for them or answer questions.

Now I don't powerlift or bodybuild any more and don't have access to a subsidised gym I have quite an extensive free weight set up at home, with bench, leg accessories, rack, rower and stepper. I can be out of bed at 0645hrs when Mrs Ds alarm goes off, straight into my dungeon, and have had a good session within half an hour. Beefcake!

screenman

Legendary Member
I was watching some YouTube vids today about fools using gyms and i cannot understand how many idiots are not using equipment correctly.

In line with how many idiots and thugs there are on bikes I guess.

Used to cycle past a gym at the highest point of my 12 mile each way commute, so I'd be already thoroughly warmed up by the time I got there, then I'd get an excellent session in and it was usually late enough that there'd be few other people there.

So long as no-one hogged my favoured leg press or rowing machine I was happy as a pig in muck, then back out on the bike and home.
The cool air rushing over you after a hard workout was wonderful.

The last gym I was a member of, I went maybe two or three times. Without it being a natural breakpoint in the commute, it simply wasn't fun.

The thought of going to a gym to meet people is a completely alien concept to me.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Great if you don't have much time I suppose, but personally I detest exercising indoors so they're not for me I'm afraid. I did join one and lasted around 6 weeks. Too hot and stuffy for me. Give me the outdoors. Even a walk in the rain is preferable to being stuck inside.

I'm with our Perthshire correspondent. Even swimming pools are just boring. I do lots of upper body stuff in the garden as well as cycling and walking. No such thing as bad weather - only inappropriate clothing.

Top Bottom