Had a crash this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, found it. Target Fixation. Maybe the OP was concentrating on the wall?
Yup. Sounds about right.

Slick

Guru
Felt like I was doing 40mph !! Maybe a more experienced, higher skilled rider could have handled the whole situation better but I’ve only been doing this since March.

https://goo.gl/maps/7z4tHZ6vWyesQKN2A
Don't worry about it, talk is cheap. The fact is, you went into the wall, what anyone else may or may not have done or even thinks they may have done is irrelevant.

I hope that you feel better soon, and the bike obviously.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Felt like I was doing 40mph !! Maybe a more experienced, higher skilled rider could have handled the whole situation better but I’ve only been doing this since March.

https://goo.gl/maps/7z4tHZ6vWyesQKN2A

OK, my last here.

In addition to the comments above on brake maintenance, the strava trace is a bit mysterious.

It shows you got your speed quite low on the steeper part of the descent at the top, but couldn't on the lower, much less steep part.

Did something change in the brakes during the descent? Has a cable snapped? Are the blocks completely worn down to the metal carriers? It's very hard to understand how you can slow a bike successfully to ~15kph on a 12% section, but not on a 3% section immediately following, without some fairly significant failure.

And I'll bang on one more time: learn the maintenance or get thee to a bike shop!

My apologies for being so tedious.

Any particular reason you're picking on this guy who has just had an accident & had a car been coming may not be with us now for you to take the piss out of?
Any reason you're picking on me?
Guy hit the wall at a lower speed than he claimed. That bend is not extreme and could be ridden at the speed he was doing. Guy messed up on a badly maintained bike.
Guy admits he doesn't know what he is doing, another lockdown disaster cyclist.

I'm just pointing out what actually happened. If you have a problem with the true nature of the events then you need to wake up.

Yes, a car could have been on the road that he shot across, but really that is nobody's fault but the cyclist. Think of the innocent car driver and what he would have been out through by P.C. Plod.
Isn't there still a 5 mile limit in Scotland?

The cyclist got it wrong.

Slick

Guru
Guy hit the wall at a lower speed than he claimed. That bend is not extreme and could be ridden at the speed he was doing. Guy messed up on a badly maintained bike.

I'm just pointing out what actually happened. If you have a problem with the true nature of the events then you need to wake up.

Yes, a car could have been on the road that he shot across, but really that is nobody's fault but the cyclist. Think of the innocent car driver and what he would have been out through by P.C. Plod.
Isn't there still a 5 mile limit in Scotland?

The cyclist got it wrong.
There was never a 5 mile limit. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
There was never a 5 mile limit. :okay:
Indeed, think that’s Wales :okay:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
another lockdown disaster cyclist

Give him a break. We all learn from our mistakes.

There's no way I'd deliberately take a T junction like that at 16mph in the rain, and I think it's pretty likely I'd have crashed at that speed if I tried. Particularly given thay it looks gravelly to boot. In fact, I'd probably have deliberately crashed into the verge rather than enter that junction uncontrolled without visibility.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, for whatever reason presumably for your own personal gratification you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, which seems to be your current MO

Maybe the guy got it wrong, maybe he had a mechanical failure, maybe he just panicked, I don't know I wasn't there, just like you weren't so you have no idea if you could have got around that corner or not, what were the exact road conditions when it happened, when was the last diesel spill on the descent, how much gravel is on the junction. You seemed to have taken great pleasure in downloading his Strava dissecting it into infinite detail to try to prove he is lying, WHY?

44 Miles & nearly 3,000ft of climbing, I don't think he's a new cyclist.

Anyway before I put what I actually think & get a ban, I'll put the thread on ignore.

pawl

Legendary Member
Any particular reason you're picking on this guy who has just had an accident & had a car been coming may not be with us now for you to take the piss out of?

Accidents happened the more experienced of us.I woke up laying flat on my back came off after taking a road hump.that I have always negotiated without problems in the past.Result broken collarbone.Not sure how it happened.Can only think that when I eased out of the saddle to take the hump that l may have twisted the bars slightly a d didn’t hit the hump square on

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think it's a reasonable topic to discuss. On the face of it, looks like the OP adjusted his brakes to the extent the gap between the blocks and the rims was too wide and, as a result, couldn't exert enough braking power on a steep descent

It's an easy mistake to make. Maybe the thread will be read by someone who also doesn't know how to adjust brakes correctly and it might prevent them having a similar accident

Top Bottom