Had a crash this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Bit wet on the roads but you know that feeling when you are descending and you pull the brake levers and nothing happens....!

I had no control and that feeling when you are hurtling down a hill getting quicker on each turn is bloody frightening!! I almost lost it on several turns it was that fast, eventually ending at a T junction going straight over and head on into someones garden wall, bruised and battered but was able to get it together and complete the ride.

Unreal, not sure if any unseen damage has occurred with the bike. Bar tape all ripped off....but that’s seems to be it, was a bit lucky to escape with a cut arm and leg. Wowsers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I always hate reading about crashes. Glad to hear you're OK but will probably get a but stiff.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Bit wet on the roads but you know that feeling when you are descending and you pull the brake levers and nothing happens....!

I had no control and that feeling when you are hurtling down a hill getting quicker on each turn is bloody frightening!! I almost lost it on several turns it was that fast, eventually ending at a T junction going straight over and head on into someones garden wall, bruised and battered but was able to get it together and complete the ride.

Unreal, not sure if any unseen damage has occurred with the bike. Bar tape all ripped off....but that’s seems to be it, was a bit lucky to escape with a cut arm and leg. Wowsers.
If you were straight on you may be lucky if you haven't buggered your forks. Check em carefully.
And check yourself carefully too!!! GWS.

D

Deleted member 26715

GWS as someone who came off almost a week ago I know how much fun it is not.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Calliper brakes, I’ve not been 100% about them and to be honest, I’ve been tweaking them off and on to try and get the best setting.

Is the actual brake block supposed to be in contact with the rim ? Or just off it, I’ve rode with it tight on and it had that dragging noise so I loosened a bit, today the brakes seem to be okay on small declines and flat, but it’s not until you come up against a decent gradient you find out how good they are. Hands were like on a roller coaster trying to get some sort of halt, shoes on the floor, in the verges desperate to try and find some grip. Just how do you slow down without brakes ???

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I once managed to slide 100 yards with both wheels locked on a greasy road. Doesn't matter how good your brakes are, if the tyre can't grip!

(I have also managed to get both wheels locked on a completely dry road, which is easier than it sounds).

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

1593339816974.png

Bottom of the hill at the T junction. I sort of tried to turn but it was too fast, ended up hitting that wall and bush ! I think the bush helped. Jeez I can still feel that panic going down. It was bloody epic though at that speed 🤣

vickster

Legendary Member
Calliper brakes, I’ve not been 100% about them and to be honest, I’ve been tweaking them off and on to try and get the best setting.

Is the actual brake block supposed to be in contact with the rim ? Or just off it, I’ve rode with it tight on and it had that dragging noise so I loosened a bit, today the brakes seem to be okay on small declines and flat, but it’s not until you come up against a decent gradient you find out how good they are. Hands were like on a roller coaster trying to get some sort of halt, shoes on the floor, in the verges desperate to try and find some grip. Just how do you slow down without brakes ???
There should be a gap otherwise the pad will rub!

From now on, maybe try slowing down a bit in general in wet conditions! Next time you could end up very seriously injured or worse :sad:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
View attachment 532880
Bottom of the hill at the T junction. I sort of tried to turn but it was too fast, ended up hitting that wall and bush ! I think the bush helped. Jeez I can still feel that panic going down. It was bloody epic though at that speed 🤣
I know a guy who went over a dry stone wall and was found some distance into a field. He was a bit concussed and doesn't remember anything but his bike computer shows he hit a maximum speed of just over 50mph down the hill in question. I'm not sure he braked at all!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Were the quick release levers down? It's possible to forget to lock them down post-fettle..

Top Bottom