Had a crash this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

To be fair to yourself, just get on youtube, learn how to set up rim brakes and do it yourself, its not hard, and you'll feel better that you managed it yourself.

dodgy

Maybe a friendly mod can edit your username 😂😜

ChrisEyles

Guru
One other point worth mentioning is be careful your brake blocks are clear of the tyre, and won't contact them even as the pads wear.

I've seen this before, and there is potential for a nasty accident if you blow the front tyre at speed on a descent.

From my experience target fixation is a real issue, and it takes practice to look where you need to go rather than at the impending obstacle.

Sounds like a horrible experience, glad you escaped relatively unscathed!

Rest up, take it easy for a bit after a nasty shock, get your bike sorted by someone who knows what they're doing, and gradually build your confidence back up.

I'm sure most of us have had either an accident or near miss a bit like this at some point. Good judgement comes from experience, but unfortunately experience comes from poor judgement!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Cheers guys, sound advice, I think its high time I booked the vehicle in for a full MOT and service before my next outing, they can also supply and fit new brakes, plus anything else they pick up.

Learn the harsh way. The fact is, having been slightly unsure in my mind, I should have done some pre-work on them and checked them thoroughly.

Very wise.

But I would also encourage you to learn brake maintenance. It's not at all difficult, a lot easier than lugging bikes to shops and back, a lot quicker too, and cheaper.

Plus, you can be confident in your brakes all the time, not just immediately after a service.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you SOMEHOW escaped serious injury there!

I was doing a fast descent in the rain on one sportive and someone had a similar problem but they didn't get away so lightly. The rider broke a leg on the top of the wall and ended up in a crumpled heap in a field on the other side. Paramedics were just tending to him when I went past... :eek:

Maybe a friendly mod can edit your username 😂😜
I was going to get that sorted, but thought "Och aye, looks funny, so lets leave it!"
I was going to suggest changing it too! My eyes keep getting drawn to the strange spelling... :wacko:

si_c

Guru
If you've got some hex wrenches it's really easy to do yourself.

Loosen the bolts for the brake pad, and then pull the brake lever, move the pad into the right place and make sure it follows the brake track on the wheel. Tighten the bolt and make sure the pad isn't touching the tyre.

If you let go of the brake lever that side is now done. Repeat for the other side.

Should look something like the below, in my case the pad is about 2mm from the rim.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_155334.jpg
    IMG_20200628_155334.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200628_155322.jpg
    IMG_20200628_155322.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4

si_c

Guru
As a second point, those pads look a bit shot although it could be the camera angle.

If they don't touch the rim with a flat edge then replace them.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Loosen the bolts for the brake pad, and then pull the brake lever, move the pad into the right place and make sure it follows the brake track on the wheel. Tighten the bolt and make sure the pad isn't touching the tyre.

If you let go of the brake lever that side is now done. Repeat for the other side.

Should look something like the below, in my case the pad is about 2mm from the rim.

I think the OP has V brakes looking at their picture

dodgy

Is that your bike in your avatar? You have v brakes but I’m not sure I’ve seen a drop bar bike with v brakes before. Is/was it a cyclo cross bike?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you really want to do it right, new pads should be fitted so they stay on the rim's brake track as they wear, since this affects the sweep of the arms (cosine error). Canti or V brake pads should be set as high as possible when new (towards the tyre). Centre-pull or side-pull pads should be set as low as possible (towards the spokes). Dual-pivots are set differently on each side: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/dual-pivot-brake-service

If the brake track is so narrow that the pad takes up the whole width, you can ignore the above.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
could have been so much worse - next time you go down there you will either be smiling to yourself and thinking how lucky , or in a panic thinking how lucky you were -- is your glass half empty or half full ^_^
as a matter of interest i would create a segment and see how fast others have took it - might have bagged a kom

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Is that quick release on the brake correct? Pretty sure it should be pointing down on left hand side when closed, when as looking at it in the photo. Then turn clockwise to open (move brake blocks away from rim) and drop the wheel out when fixing punctures etc.

Top Bottom