Had bike fitting but not comfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`ve often toyed with the idea of getting a bike fit cos after maybe 30/40 miles on the bike, I get a bit of a sore back, More often I put this down to the fact I`ve been on the bike for a wee while but sometimes I think, I wonder if my position is 100% correct. I know a shop that will do one for £30 so it`s not that expensive if it doesn`t bear fruit.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Although I liked my Thorn touring bike from the start, it took a long time and a lot of little tweaks to get it really comfortable - seatpost, stem, saddle all got replaced and many fine adjustments made. Then a group I ride with offered a shared bike fit evening at a very low price, so I took the Thorn to see what he would say. The only change he made was to level up the saddle, but I found it less comfortable and put it back how it was.
When I got my latest bike, it was from a well known lbs: he suggested that bike to me for size, and was spot on. Very proud he was too that he could "measure" a person by eye, said it was because he did the job for many years.
All very well, but after he set the saddle using a bit of string (on me) I knew immediately it was a few mm too low.
Changed it later, never had the heart to tell him ^_^

I could be wrong but I had a fit a few years back that put me more upright as it was the most powerful and they also recommended it'd be more comfortable for my back but I found it no different comfort wise for my back but way less comfortable on my rear. I also felt that being less aero was a disadvantage:wacko: Anyway I had another fit more recently and they put me similar to my more stretched out/ low position albeit they also lowered the saddle a bit.

A reputable fitter would ask for feedback and tell you to book in for another session if not somfortable, foc of course, it's not a thing that can easily be done in one attempt and requires feedback from the customer to the fitter.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are several different, competing systems, which can differ quite a lot in their claims about how they manage the biomechanics of a rider.

Which is correct? Are any correct?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not all bike assessments use any sort of programme, the physio who did my fit a couple of weeks ago simply used an iPad to video me and then a few basic tools. Completely different to the fancy Retul fit

He also gave me his email and said to let him know how I'm getting on. I'm also seeing his colleague for physio so I'm sure I can feed back via her too

Buck

Guru
The current stem is 110 - would swapping it for 60mm be quite extreme, or would 90mm not see much difference? I don't know what length to try.

I was advised that I needed a 90mm stem on one fit I had as opposed to the standard 110mm so I think it would be worth giving the 90mm a try. 60mm seems a bit extreme to me.

I changed my stem from 110mm to 90mm and it made a great difference for me. 110mm was just stretching me too much.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Went up to garage to try to 'feel' 20mm closer - dropped the seat first and a cursory lap round car park felt better.

What does dropping thevseat achieve 'technically' that a shorter stem would? Was about to order a 90mm stem but a bit uncertain now.

Buck

Guru
it will affect your vertical dimensions I.e. Your legs will be less extended when the pedal is at the bottom of the rotation.

Also, depending upon the angle of the seat stem you will have been brought slightly closer to the handlebars, not 20mm I wouldn't think though.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Right, going to go a test run in the next few days before getting a new stem. My bike goes into the place that fitted it soon so may ask for a shorter stem if seat dropping isn't enough.

Got fitted a few years ago in Wishaw. Got a new bike this year set to same measurements. Probably done about 300 miles on it.

When he had me leaning right forward in hoods he says that's how I'm supposed to be positioned. But I find through experience it causes a sore back.

Ride more, get fitter.

I`ve often toyed with the idea of getting a bike fit cos after maybe 30/40 miles on the bike, I get a bit of a sore back, More often I put this down to the fact I`ve been on the bike for a wee while but sometimes I think, I wonder if my position is 100% correct. I know a shop that will do one for £30 so it`s not that expensive if it doesn`t bear fruit.

Its still £30 cheaper just to feck about with it yourself to find what fits.

Lozz360

Veteran
Why do you feel like you "should" have a bike fit if you are already comfortable on the bike?
I did. Reason was I was considering getting a new bike and although the bike I had was comfortable, I just wanted to confirm that the fit was optimum for me. I didn't want to be told in the future that both my bikes were not the ideal size for me. The only change the fitter made was to raise the saddle 1.5-inches and move it forward a bit. It doesn't make me go any faster, but it is certainly easier going up hills.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The current stem is 110 - would swapping it for 60mm be quite extreme, or would 90mm not see much difference? I don't know what length to try.
How far behind the desired hood-hold position are you holding the bars? That's probably the ballpark for how much shorter you want your stem to be.

I recently fitted a 20mm shorter and 50mm taller stem to one bike (no, I'm not using all that extra height!) because I was most comfortable holding the bars just behind the hoods. I generally set my handlebars up by getting the saddle/pedal arrangement as close to comfy as I can, then swinging my arms forwards and that's where I want the most-used handlebar position, because I basically want to have only enough weight on the bars to steer. http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike Set Up 2017a.pdf is a reasonably setup guide IMO.

Saddle up 1.5 inches? That's a massive change, 4cm...or did you mean cms?
Yes and no. Plenty of people ride around with saddles well below optimum. Your legs object much less than if you go too high by mistake!

Top Bottom