Had bike fitting but not comfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
How far behind the desired hood-hold position are you holding the bars? That's probably the ballpark for how much shorter you want your stem to be.

I recently fitted a 20mm shorter and 50mm taller stem to one bike (no, I'm not using all that extra height!) because I was most comfortable holding the bars just behind the hoods. I generally set my handlebars up by getting the saddle/pedal arrangement as close to comfy as I can, then swinging my arms forwards and that's where I want the most-used handlebar position, because I basically want to have only enough weight on the bars to steer. http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/documents/Bike Set Up 2017a.pdf is a reasonably setup guide IMO.

Yes and no. Plenty of people ride around with saddles well below optimum. Your legs object much less than if you go too high by mistake!
I get more leg and knee pain if the saddle is too low myself. Probably because I'm over flexing my knackered knee

Reactions: mjr

Lozz360

Veteran
Saddle up 1.5 inches? That's a massive change, 4cm...or did you mean cms?
One and a half inches. I know it is a massive change. Rather embarrassingly, I thought I had it correct after following advice on YouTube. Clearly I didn't as I much prefer the saddle height now.

Top Bottom