Had to yell at a cyclist this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pete said:
I was about to say that! Sorry, tdr, hilarious tale as you've told it, but more of the blame on your good self. It would have been a nice gesture to offer to pay for the shorts, and perhaps offer some temporary 'cover' out of your well-packed laundry bag? :smile::biggrin::biggrin:

But for the roadie to gripe about another cyclist (i.e. you) being 'in his way' was also inexcusable. What a sad sad world we live in! Reminds me a bit of the squad of roadies coming up behind me in peloton on a narrow lane, "good-morning"ing me loudly and emphatically and leaving no doubt whatsoever as to their inner meaning. Their inner meaning being "we don't single up mate so MOVE OVER!". B):sad::sad:

Some clubs do that - especially ones who blast along at warpspeed.

I am lucky that my club takes a much more sociable approach (as this is my approach :smile: ) to the club run, and we focus on having a nice ride, rather than melting the tarmac. We do however call out a loud "Good-morning" to lone riders we come up on - on the principle that forewarned is forearmed. It wouldn't be nice to start passing and have the lone rider do something squirrely and wipe out half the bunch :blush::tongue:

Still, there is no need to be rude, because we are all out doing the same thing - having fun on our bikes B):biggrin::becool:;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
You can say I wasn't looking where I was going, the rain didn't help but he did stop right in front of me and should have got on the kerb to look at his bike rather than stand in the road.

God alone knows he had my sympathies, basically cycling in the rain in his underwear and his bike failing, something I wouldn't wish on anyone. But it was a 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' type of accident, I only had to walk home and replace the wheel with a spare.

I'm not grouching about any of this and freely admit to being as stubborn about his 'important elite cyclist' attitude as he probably was at my 'grubby commuter MTB plodding'.

The sad thing about the situation was I had crank tools on me, and some knowledge of emergency 'just get me home' repairs, had he actually engaged me as a fellow cyclist there might have been a nicer outcome rather than me dining out on what I see as a bloody funny story.

My only fear about posting this story has been hoping I won't get a reply saying,

'Tdr1nka, that other cyclist was Me!!' LOL

T x

Cab

BentMikey said:
Hmmm, you hit him from behind, and it's his fault? I'm not sure I get that.

We don't really know though; if you overtake someone, pull over and brake hard or hop off the bike in front of them then you're not entirely blameless if there is an accident.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, hence my question. OTOH it doesn't sound like a cut in and brake hard from the original post.

" I just ignored this and plodded on, eyes on the road and rain dripping off my nose. Just in time I looked up thru the rain to see the same cyclist stood in the gutter bent over his bike."

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Guys, BentMikey!

I DIDN"T EVEN HIT HIM!
Just a passing sharp bit of my bike somehow and quite hilariously snagged his shorts. I was wrapped up against the weather so no harm done when I landed on my arse. He passed me, it's p*ssing with rain and I plodded on at 8 mph(ish) 2 pedal turns I check the road and he's stopped in the road dead ahead. I crashed while avoiding him beautifully, my wheel got bent, no one hurt, only he had to get home in the rain with no bike and his b*lloks to the wind. It's not a blame story that needs thorough investigation, just a funny anecdote about the rudeness of another rider that I have experienced.

tdr1nka said:
Guys, BentMikey!

I DIDN"T EVEN HIT HIM!
Just a passing sharp bit of my bike somehow and quite hilariously snagged his shorts. I was wrapped up against the weather so no harm done when I landed on my arse. He passed me, it's p*ssing with rain and I plodded on at 8 mph(ish) 2 pedal turns I check the road and he's stopped in the road dead ahead. I crashed while avoiding him beautifully, my wheel got bent, no one hurt, only he had to get home in the rain with no bike and his b*lloks to the wind. It's not a blame story that needs thorough investigation, just a funny anecdote about the rudeness of another rider that I have experienced.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Like I also said I would have been happy to have helped him out had he had even noticed I had crashed, I asked him if he was alright first and he was still mewling over his bike when he told me to so beautifully 'F*CK OFF'.

I was only doing what he had told me to do when he realised his shorts were in tatters.

Sadly as I was on my way TO the laundrette with the household bedding, I don't think I would have been able to furnish him with much more than a 'Masters Of The Universe' single duvet cover sarong!!

T x

OP
OP
P

Pete

Sounds like beyond redemption, and maybe not likely to remain a roadie for too much longer if he stays with that attitude. OK. You did your best. Perhaps you can answer the burning question, was he riding 'commando'? ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Maybe you can pull off the next similar stunt with a kilt-wearer (stopped by the roadside to mend his bagpipes perhaps) and settle another question... Or perhaps not: kilts are bl***dy expensive!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, yes, it was very amusing! The guy was obv. a twunt and got his karma repaid very quickly. At the same time you should acknowledge your mistake and not blame him for stopping in the road.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The incident was easily 15 years ago, I've been a dedicated roadie for 20 years in London, apart from a 5 year gap after a couple of serious bike related incidents made me believe, quite wrongly, that I no longer had the stomach for Urban cycling.
Riding in London after time can bring out the cynical moaning heartless b*stard in any rider at any moment but this has never stopped me from giving people my puntcure patches and the loan of my pump, slipping a jammed chain back on the cogs for the kids in the park.
I even helped a lady cage driver who was trying to change a tyre at a busy junction a few weeks ago, so there. I am lovely to children, old people, baby animals and trees.

Please don't let me be forever judged in hell for the cycle shorts misdemeanor, I was in the wrong I admit it. I feel so much better now.

Yes Pete(how can I erase the image from my mind), he was 'going commando'.

The kilt suggestion is of course a whole different ball game('scuse pun) as I now ride a recumbent trike and would feel somewhat reluctant to look up.

Keep smiling, life can be brilliant!

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BentMikey,

One Q,, as this is troubling me a bit and I feel a bad vibe here, where in my OP where do I mention actually blaming him for stopping in front of me?

I had an crash of my own and he still stayed stood in the road, the road is like an ice rink, I narrowly avoid hitting him(only just as we found out) and crashed while shouting 'w*nk*r'.

He had passed me just a moment before telling me I was 'in his way' and seconds later found himself in mine, perfect compromise if you ask me all things considered.

T x

Top Bottom