Haibike Alltrack 6 views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Good afternoon, folks, eyeing up an e-mountain bike and despite being a committed Trek fanboi, I've seen a Haibike Alltrack 5 which looked great and there's an offer on them. HOWEVER going online I've found there's an Alltrack 6 which is slightly better spec but in a much sexier orange colour.

Has anyone tried any of the Alltrack range and can give views on build quality, any glitches or faults and the likely 'real world' range out of the 720W battery in best and worst case scenarios, please?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are that many eMTBs it will be difficult to find anyone with direct experience.

In general, Haibikes are as well made as most other mainstream makes.

The bike has a Yamaha crank drive,

It may not have the most recent one which is why it's on offer.

As is so often the case, the new model performs much the same as the old one.

Range is, as you know, extremely subjective.

What you can say is the motor/battery combo will give a very similar range to all the other similar specced bikes.

Not too hilly, reasonably good going on a medium power setting will give about 7-10 miles per 100wh.

Thus the relatively big battery on this bike would give a max of 70 miles, but probably less.

However, eMTBs are not designed for use on flat hardpack/tarmac.

Giving it some beans on a proper MTB trail you could easily flatten the battery in an hour or less.

I saw one test in which the riders flattened their 500wh batteries in under 25 miles on the South Downs Way.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
There are that many eMTBs it will be difficult to find anyone with direct experience.

In general, Haibikes are as well made as most other mainstream makes.

The bike has a Yamaha crank drive,

It may not have the most recent one which is why it's on offer.

As is so often the case, the new model performs much the same as the old one.

Range is, as you know, extremely subjective.

What you can say is the motor/battery combo will give a very similar range to all the other similar specced bikes.

Not too hilly, reasonably good going on a medium power setting will give about 7-10 miles per 100wh.

Thus the relatively big battery on this bike would give a max of 70 miles, but probably less.

However, eMTBs are not designed for use on flat hardpack/tarmac.

Giving it some beans on a proper MTB trail you could easily flatten the battery in an hour or less.

I saw one test in which the riders flattened their 500wh batteries in under 25 miles on the South Downs Way.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Why do you say they're not suitable for flat hardpack/tarmac, please?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you, that's very helpful. Why do you say they're not suitable for flat hardpack/tarmac, please?

Well, I suppose less suitable is more accurate.

A properly designed eMTB will have wide handlebars and a short stem, giving very direct high leverage steering which is not best suited to trundling along the road.

It will also have soft compound knobbly tyres which will be hard work- bad for range - and wear quickly on hard surfaces.

That could be dealt with easily enough by fitting shallow tread tyres designed for the road and well-made cycle paths.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Well, I suppose less suitable is more accurate.

A properly designed eMTB will have wide handlebars and a short stem, giving very direct high leverage steering which is not best suited to trundling along the road.

It will also have soft compound knobbly tyres which will be hard work- bad for range - and wear quickly on hard surfaces.

That could be dealt with easily enough by fitting shallow tread tyres designed for the road and well-made cycle paths.

Thank you.

Have been a little averse to getting an e-bike as think it might make me lazy, but the plan is to do some longer rides which will mostly involve tow paths and rough (but grassy, rather than stony) terrain. I think you can turn the battery off completely, so thinking to ride without for as long as possible, then switch it on later into a journey. The flip side of that I suppose is the weight of the bike so I'm guessing it'll be more tiring to ride without battery power so I'll be tired out earlier? So much to think about!

Thanks once again for the replies.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A heavy crank drive ebike is not really a good prospect for riding unassisted.

What you will likely find is the best way to get more range is to leave the bike on its lowest setting for the whole ride.

I'm only familiar with the Bosch system which has a lowest setting of eco.

It barely does more than unweight the bike and doesn't provide enough assistance for a relatively unfit me.

However, a slightly fitter and lighter rider can get some extravagant range.

You need to have a play with the Bosch ebike range calculator.

It's for Bosch bikes, but will give you a good idea for any torque sensor crank bike.

The last Yamaha bike I rode was a few years ago, but I found the power delivery very clunky compared to the Bosch, which is all but seamless.

Yamaha might have improved that, but I wouldn't buy one without testing it against a Bosch.

Or just buy a Bosch bike because you know you will be getting the best system on the market.

By the way grass, particularly if it is wet or has any length, will absolutely slaughter the battery.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant

Top Bottom