Half Cyclist????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

sanoffyhighstepson said:
Hey Noodley, not sure what soapbox is, but yes, have converted, well halfway anyway, to cycling. Like I said, I enjoy it and understand problems, but too many inflated egos on here make it impossible to suggest any reasonable and practible solutions to problems

I just checked, and you are not who I thought (just as well for you ;):biggrin:). Keep at it, don't judge us all by some reactions you have encountered - it's not usually about "inflated ego" just a different take on things. As cyclists, we all encounter the "egos" of motor vehicle drivers so a bit of "ego" for cyclists can only be expected sometimes.

OP
OP
S

sanoffyhighstepson

Well said Night Train.
Perfect example is Ski slopes. Sounds a bit funny but hear me out.

Nobody knows who is a novice and who isnt. But more experienced skiers 'go around' less experienced ones.

I mean 4fuxake, if they can do it on ice, why cant we do it on sticky tarmac!!!;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
sanoffyhighstepson said:
Baldy tyres

I saw a van and a cyclist go through a blatant red.

Now, are you going to tell me the cyclist was allowed to do that because he is entitled to be there??? No chance.

i'm not, nor ever have suggested that cyclists can or should go through red lights

are baldy tyres a bad thing on bicycles then?

OP
OP
S

sanoffyhighstepson

hubgearfreak said:
i'm not, nor ever have suggested that cyclists can or should go through red lights

are baldy tyres a bad thing on bicycles then?

Like I said, cant have one rule for one and one rule for another. A mountain bike can quite easily hit 30mph going down a steep gradient. Add a corner and yes, I would say its a bad thing.
Lose grip, fall, possibly under the wheels of a car, end up killed. BAD!!!

hubgearfreak

Über Member
your original point that

sanoffyhighstepson said:
Car drivers do car tests and know very little about cycling. Some cyclists who have not done a car test may have limited knowledge on most aspects of road using.

is what's got my back up. i have no duty to be knowledgeable of how to drive a car/bus/lorry in order to ride a bike.
but motorists do have a responsibility and legal duty to be careful and considerate around more vulnerable road users. a few ignore this responsibility and race round like twats.;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
sanoffyhighstepson said:
Like I said, cant have one rule for one and one rule for another. A mountain bike can quite easily hit 30mph going down a steep gradient. Add a corner and yes, I would say its a bad thing.
Lose grip, fall, possibly under the wheels of a car, end up killed. BAD!!!

i'm clearly arguing with someone out of my intellectual league

OP
OP
S

sanoffyhighstepson

hubgearfreak said:
i'm clearly arguing with someone out of my intellectual league

Fair dooz. Go firing down a hill at 25-30mph with no tread (baldy) tyres and try to turn round a bend.
I hope for your sake you make it. Wouldnt want someone to snuff it for the sake of a £20 bike tyre.

Noodley

C'mon, give him a break! There is no need to get all bolshie with him. It just reinforces the "ego cyclist" notion...;)

Noodley

sanoffyhighstepson said:
Fair dooz. Go firing down a hill at 25-30mph with no tread (baldy) tyres and try to turn round a bend.
I hope for your sake you make it. Wouldnt want someone to snuff it for the sake of a £20 bike tyre.

Sanfy (if you do not mind me being so informal ;)), this Sunday I shall be cycling down a hill on 25mm tyres with no tread and I shall hopefully be travelling at near to 60mph - and it involves a few bends.

There is no need for tread on bike tyres...

OP
OP
S

sanoffyhighstepson

hubgearfreak said:
your original point that

is what's got my back up. i have no duty to be knowledgeable of how to drive a car/bus/lorry in order to ride a bike.
but motorists do have a responsibility and legal duty to be careful and considerate around more vulnerable road users. a few ignore this responsibility and race round like twats.;)

Yes, some race around like twats, no doubt. Novas, Corsas and even what I have, Fiestas.
But what I'm trying to get at, what everyone on here has missed by quite a margin so far, is that cyclist also have a responsibility to be courteous and careful, which a few people on here dont seem to grasp.
Am not sticking up for cars and am not sticking up for bikes, because I use both now.
A bit like the Rangers/Celtic thing up here in Glasgow. I support Motherwell and still get pelters!!! Cant win really!!1!!

Night Train

Maker of Things
hubgearfreak said:
but motorists do have a responsibility and legal duty to be careful and considerate around more vulnerable road users.
This is true. That's why the equality argument falls down. Some road users are more at risk while others can cause more harm. Mutual respect of the situation helps more then equality.

OP
OP
S

sanoffyhighstepson

Noodley said:
Sanfy (if you do not mind me being so informal ;)), this Sunday I shall be cycling down a hill on 25mm tyres with no tread and I shall hopefully be travelling at near to 60mph - and it involves a few bends.

There is no need for tread on bike tyres...

Okay so one of those wee 125cc bikes that can only hit 40-odd mph flat out doesnt need them too??
Not being funny mate, am just trying to get my head round why its okay for some and its not okay for others.
The guy with the scooter will get done by the police whereas you wouldnt. Dont get it

Noodley

sanoffyhighstepson said:
Okay so one of those wee 125cc bikes that can only hit 40-odd mph flat out doesnt need them too??
Not being funny mate, am just trying to get my head round why its okay for some and its not okay for others.
The guy with the scooter will get done by the police whereas you wouldnt. Dont get it

It's the law for "mechanically propelled vehicles".

Top Bottom