Half Ironman: Buy upgrades for 2014 Spesh Allez Elite or buy a new carbon bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi just an update on my post and where I am at. I took from.what everyone had said was to just get out and ride and get fitter so that is what I did. I have been hitting the bike 3 - 4 times a week a few short 20 milers followed by a few short brick runs with some 50 60 80 milers at the weekends. I have got myself some new pedals and new road shoes which has made a massive difference. I also changed the tyres to some conti 4000s ii's and I couldn't believe what a difference that made. I also recently managed to pick up some slightly used mavic carbon pro wheels too, all in all my average road speed over a 50 mile ride has gone from 14 mph (over a 10 mile distance) to 16.5 - 17 mph over a 50 mile distance riding by myself so should be quicker in a group ride.
I am holding off on a new bike at the mo (although the Boardman elite air 9.2 is getting my attention) until after the race (which is 5 weeks away now) and I see how I get on. If all goes well will be looking at a full Ironman next year. I have to agree with everyone that has said to improve just get out on your bike and ride, so if any one else is in the same situation this would be rhe advice i would give ride, ride, ride some more and enjoy it.
I'm glad to hear you're progressing. Those 4000 s II's are quite an eye opener, as far as grip and rolling performance are concerned aren't they?.

OP
OP
D

Dgibson2016

Regular
They really are I couldn't believe a set of tyres could make that much of a difference.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sounds like good progress - join us on the structured training thread when you get into it ;)

I'm racing a half on Sunday.

OP
OP
D

Dgibson2016

Regular
Will do for definate. First time in open water last week man it was cold and completely different to the pool should be ok on the day just need to get it done. Good luck for Sunday.

jay clock

Massive member
I do long distance triathlons (10th half IM this weekend) and 4th IM in July.

Nothing trumps comfort. Your Spesh will be fine. I find tribars do help. I use Profile Carbon Stryke.. A TT bike will be fast if you can stay down low, but that is hard

Oh, and well maintained and reliable trumps something made of vapour

Stealthrider1

Boardman are nice bikes but crap warranty and the elite has hidden brakes that look like they will be tiresome to adjust etc

jay clock

Massive member
Top tip, new tyres week before. Do a 1hr ride to check all ok

Top Bottom