Half-wheeling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
This phrase cropped up today and two different definitions were offered.

I took it to mean someone always putting their front wheel just that far in front of yours as to try and get you to increase the pace without them taking the lead and setting the pace.

Or is it someone sitting halfway up your back wheel enjoying the drafting?

Or is it something completely different?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
longers said:

I took it to mean someone always putting their front wheel just that far in front of yours as to try and get you to increase the pace without them taking the lead and setting the pace.

That's my take on it. There's one guy I sometimes ride with who does this, then takes off up the road like a somewhat overweight and more arrogant Lance and disappears off to get to the pub 45 mins before anyone else.:biggrin:
Dunno what he's doing in the CTC, to be honest...:smile:

TheDoctor said:
That's my take on it. There's one guy I sometimes ride with who does this, then takes off up the road like a somewhat overweight and more arrogant Lance and disappears off to get to the pub 45 mins before anyone else.:biggrin:
Dunno what he's doing in the CTC, to be honest...:smile:

Always a mistake ... I usually try and get to the pub 30 seconds after everyone else in order to avoid buying the first round.xx(
I thought half wheeling was sitting just behind someone with your front wheel overlapping their back wheel, which is a big no no since it allows them no room to avoid potholes etc.

Renard

longers said:

Its the first one. A cardinal sin too.

mondobongo

Über Member
Supposed to be a head messer as far as I know someone just putting themselves in front of you and holding that position.

yenrod

'Half-wheeling' is a term that was once dealt to me yet i couldnt work it out: though it was the only thing I could do, upon realising what it meant, to stay with the person...in other words 'find pace everyones capable and happy with.

Some people dont realise the rconsquences of their speed when with other/s - back then I was very respecting of others - now I just tell them straight or teach them a cycling lesson.

Half-wheelers are Complete Bastards. End of.
These are the people who just coast along in front of you, and when you attempt to draw level, they push it just a little bit more.
This state of affairs continues until they nail your hat on.
Like I said. Complete Bastards. :smile:

Saddle bum

Über Member
Half-wheeling is the noxious habit some tossers have of constantly riding so as their front axel is in line with your front tyre. It means you're constantly bouncing forward to get in line. It can end up several ways:

An almighty tear up with the offender being given a good going over by the rest.
A bidon full of energy drink down the back.
Getting a free ride by holding onto his seat pillar until he cottons on.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I've heard people say Hodgey is a "half wheeler" and he likes to put his wheel in front of Tone to wind his speed up even though Tone's happy at his current pace. So I would go along with those that say aye.

It sounds like Hodgey is a very bad man. :biggrin::smile:xx(

He's offered to do it to me and even his wife says he's good at it.

On the ride today folk were described as "halfwheelers" for doing what RT describes, as in staying that far up on your back wheel as to make life uncomfortable. But it's not what Hodgey does, so while annoying and possibly dangerous it might not be what is meant.

Top Bottom