Halfords 3 bike ,bike rack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So Mr and Mrs P are going to cycle together this year.I know some lovely quiet places she can get her confidence on.So to save riding from home,a rack was bought today.Halfords own,it looks good it is really light and it fits well.
Well it fits well now.We decided i could put it together this afternoon.So we laid out all the bits on the carpet so we did not scratch anything,incase it had to go back.Check list we had one extra collar thing but were missing two important buckles and two long straps.So we boxed it up and went back.The engineer took the box checked it over and confirmed parts were missing.Said parts were taken off a display model and all was good and right.Well after seeing all the parts on our carpet i had decided i was not going to put it together,we paid a small fee the cost of five lattes,and it was put together then checked by a second member of staff and then we were given a demo.
SO FULL MARKS FROM ME FOR HALFORDS who i know get some flack from us on here,not this time well done Halfords.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Is the rack any good though?
I ask as I've been looking at racks lately.
Our old Thule is no longer any good because the new car has no towbar and all reports I've read say to go for a Saris Bones if going for a boot mount rack. It's friggin pricy though.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
I've had the Halfords 3 bike rack for about 3 years now and it's excellent. What I will say is that 3 is a squeeze and a bit of a faff, but 2 road bikes do fit on beautifully and I've driven to events up to 2 hours away with no issues.

I wanted three so to give us more room.Also the two would have hung too low and would have required a number place making,at a cost of £16.So the little extra was worth it.

Slick

Guru
I still have the 3 bike rack despite adding the thule tow bar rack to my collection. I found it very good and could fit 3 road bikes head to toe without too much difficulty. The only real reason I changed it was Mrs Slick invested in an ebike and I didn't want to take any chances with weight restrictions.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Is the rack any good though?
I ask as I've been looking at racks lately.
Our old Thule is no longer any good because the new car has no towbar and all reports I've read say to go for a Saris Bones if going for a boot mount rack. It's friggin pricy though.

Had we both been a little younger me 70 we would have gone for a tow bar and had all the fittings done,but not worth the cost.Mrs P did like the tow option better.

Adam4868

Guru
I've a Saris bones three bike one.Been all over with it and seems to do the job.Bikes to France and Ireland.I bought it second hand years ago.

keithmac

Guru
Tow bar rack for us (Mk2 Kuga) manual says they are unsuitable for a boot mounted rack due to bonded rear screen and spoiler location I believe.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Don’t be scratching up your nice specialized Secteur, bikes can rub against each other in a rack!
Pipe lagging placed strategically might be worth thinking about.

The love of my life will not be going on the rack,the old mountain bike will.Mrs P does not own a road bike.But thank you for caring,what a lovely bunch we all are.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The love of my life will not be going on the rack,the old mountain bike will.Mrs P does not own a road bike.But thank you for caring,what a lovely bunch we all are.
I remember the day you picked you bike up from Specialized Harrogate, I’d never seen such a happy, excited and delighted customer!

Top Bottom