Halfords Poor Customer Sevice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aiden_23

I got a Boardman CX bike on the C2W scheme, went in to order the bike on Saturday and was informed they had none in stock so would take a couple of days to get it in from Head Office. That was fine but was then told I had to pick my accessories now and could not wait until the bike was delivered. Again that was fine so picked some pedals, then looked at helmets, found a steal of a Giro at 65% off so picked that one. After 20 minutes of mincing around waiting for the Customer Assistant checking the back I was informed they had none in stock. I asked if I could buy the display model and was told they could not sell them for H&S reasons. Again I was okay with that but was then told the store was closed and I had to leave!!!! So somehow now they could suspend the transaction and I could get my accessories when the bike arrived? I got a phone call yesterday letting me know my bike was ready for collection. I was buzzing today got dropped of by the Misses, waited in a 10 minute Queue and was greeted by a look of confusion . First guy said I will need to get someone else I cant put the C2W vouchers through. Second guy goes and gets my bike then looks a tad confused when I tell him I need to pick my accessories and need my voucher processed (you know where this is going). He tells me he is away to get the Manager to put it through, 20!!!!!! yes 20 minutes later he comes up to me and tells me the Manager is off today and I would need to come back tomorrow as there was no one in that can process my order. I was not happy and told him I would come back tomorrow and get it(not his fault his Manager cant plan correctly). Just as I was walking away I noticed the First guy was selling the display model Giro I wanted, to another customer. Not a happy bunny will be expecting a 10% discount for the poor service for a start!!!!!! Anyone else had great service like this?????

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

Sorry for the rant!!!

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
It took them 2hours to process my C2W voucher, two days later I received a parking fine for parking outside Halfords from some jumped up company....To be fair Halfords soon had the fine quashed, but the fine came through to Mrs B and she wasn't happy with me :sad:

compo

Veteran
Ah but without your woes we would have had the usual boring "my wonderful new bike" story. At least you have an interesting tale to share across the dinner table and on the forums.

(I do appreciate your frustration though)

Pauluk

Halfords customer service can be very variable and depends greatly on the staff and the manager at any given store. We have 2 stores on Leicester. One (Putney Road) has always been very good whenever I have used them, where as the other has been very very poor.

Crankarm

Guru
It's Halfords what do you expect?

Make sure you give your bike a thorough once over before you actually ride it as we don't want you coming to grief .....................................

Pauluk

Crankarm said:
Make sure you give your bike a thorough once over before you actually ride it as we don't want you coming to grief
+1 and make sure when you ride it that it all works perfectly, don't settle for anything less. I took mine back 3 times before they got it right, I was determined that they should. I get the impression they do tend to rush things and not all store staff take that much pride in their work. As I've said, it depends on the staff they have in store. They are not consistent so watch out.

Crankarm

Guru
+1 and make sure when you ride it that it all works perfectly, don't settle for anything less. I took mine back 3 times before they got it right, I was determined that they should. I get the impression they do tend to rush things and not all store staff take that much pride in their work. As I've said, it depends on the staff they have in store. They are not consistent so watch out.

I was coming from the angle that the bike they prepare for you and sell you might NOT actually BE SAFE!

If I were buying a bike from them (unlikely) then I would insist on taking it boxed so they couldn't get their paws on it and bugger it up. I did enquire about a Boardman Hyrdid a few years ago and was told I could do this when I specifically asked. The bikes are pretty much assembled in factory anyway, you just have to turn the bars, put the wheels, pedals and saddle on, check the brakes and you are away. Pretty straight forward stuff for you and me, but not for the average Halford inmate. Why risk it? Take the bike boxed.

Pauluk

I see what you mean Crankarm, but knowing them they could use it as a loop hole to void the warranty if there were to be a serious problem in the future! I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Have to say that my experience with Hellfrauds has been varied, depending on who I've talked to. When I bought my Subway2 (work bike) from them, the guy was spot on.....it originally came with a double front chainring and I wanted it changed to a triple. Fella asked which triple, and then checked the BB to make sure it was the right size and swapped it out for one that fitted. Kudos that man. But, and it's a big but, when I first bought the bike, fella that tried to sell me the bike, tried to sell the wrong size frame. (Too small frame, with sit up and beg stem). Make sure with halfords that the guy selling bikes works in the bike department, and hasn't just been asked to come upstairs from audio.

The big shame is that Halfords originlly started out as a bike shop, but market trends have driven it elsewhere.

markharry66

Über Member
Consumer power take your order and your money somewhere else where they treat you with respect. I once asked a local bike shop is it possible to fix my bike today. Only to be told in no uncertain terms (terms I found offensive) they were unable to do it. I dont take the bike there anymore and I also used to buy all my bikes from them they no longer get my custom.

eddiemee

Sorry for your woes, but this doesn't surprise me. I went to buy a new wheel last weekend as I happened to be passing the Halfords near where I live. I thought it would be straightforward, I asked the guy what I wanted (26" for V-brakes), he came back with a wheel for disc brakes. I pointed this out and he assured me I could use V-brakes with it despite the big red sticker on it saying not for use with rim/V-brakes. 'I'm sure it will be OK' he said. Well yes, because you're not the one that will suddenly find out that you have no braking power.

Popped down to the LBS I usually go to later in the day, asked for the same wheel, guy picked it off the shelf with no fuss and threw in 5 minutes worth of free advice on various things. Worth the extra £20!

So I decided from this point on I will only buy boxed accessories from Halfords, as their price is sometimes competitive. If I need something specific, straigh to the LBS. Likewise if I need advice - they will usually give it for free, but I always buy something anwyay.

Top Bottom