Halford's Real Classic bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I'm having a psychic moment.

She will say " I never use the highest gear"..

I wonder? The halfords bike only has 3 speeds, whilst I noticed the Pashley Princess has 6.

jimboalee

The bike weighs 36 lb.

With every will in the world, no newbie young lady is going to be able to get that up a gentle gradient with the ring and sprocket it has as standard, even in first gear.

From the look of it, it has the bog-standard 46 ring and 18 sprocket.
That's a 50" lowest gear. She'll be working up a sweat on a 3% gradient.

I don't ( after setting up bikes for young ladies ) think she'll find that enjoyable.

Try to talk her into a hybrid with a triple and 9 speed cassette.

Unless, that is, you have no hills within 20 miles of your home.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well jimbo...
As kids in hilly devon we went everywhere on old 3 speeds like that, I had a wartime Hercules ladies bike with rod-brakes and never pushed-up a hill. The lowest gears on those sorts of bikes are more than capable of most terrains.

Arch

Married to Night Train
jimboalee said:
The bike weighs 36 lb.

With every will in the world, no newbie young lady is going to be able to get that up a gentle gradient with the ring and sprocket it has as standard, even in first gear.

From the look of it, it has the bog-standard 46 ring and 18 sprocket.
That's a 50" lowest gear. She'll be working up a sweat on a 3% gradient.

I don't ( after setting up bikes for young ladies ) think she'll find that enjoyable.

Try to talk her into a hybrid with a triple and 9 speed cassette.

Unless, that is, you have no hills within 20 miles of your home.

Nonsense. If she likes the look of the classic, she wants a sit up and beg ladies bike. She may not need more than 3 gears. I use 3 of my 21 on a regular about-town basis. If the gearing is too high, it can be altered by a competent bike shop, whether she gets that one or another make.

I'd agree that if she wants classic she could get something second hand that does fine, and is probably bomb-proof. If she's quailing at the thought of spending £250 and likes the classic look, then she's probably not wanting to ride miles and miles, she probably just wants a bike to get about on (it would be handy to know this actually). 27 speeds on a hybrid would be utterly wasted, and not as easy to maintain/clean as a hub.

Fab Foodie

Arch said:
Nonsense. If she likes the look of the classic, she wants a sit up and beg ladies bike. She may not need more than 3 gears. I use 3 of my 21 on a regular about-town basis. If the gearing is too high, it can be altered by a competent bike shop, whether she gets that one or another make.

I'd agree that if she wants classic she could get something second hand that does fine, and is probably bomb-proof. If she's quailing at the thought of spending £250 and likes the classic look, then she's probably not wanting to ride miles and miles, she probably just wants a bike to get about on (it would be handy to know this actually). 27 speeds on a hybrid would be utterly wasted, and not as easy to maintain/clean as a hub.

Thank you Arch, sense and reason come in your posts as standard!
Most people don't need 30 gears, People need to learn to pedal again...
3 gear hubs will get you most places, simple clean reliable and on a sit-up and beg town bike just the ticket.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:smile:

Thank you. I know we all tend to assume that someone is going to get into cycling and want to do more, and need a 'better' bike, but it's not the case for everyone, and I'd rather someone had a bike they liked to be on, and could cope with in terms of maintenance, than something with more stuff that they end up leaving in the shed because it gives them oily trousers... A gentle 3 spd has been enough for women/men/vicars in sitcoms for decades.

In my experience, a lot of ladies who've been riding a cheap MTB or something like that, just love the sit up and beg style. The first 4 friends/neighbours I can think of who ride just for transport, ride that sort of bike.

Perhaps the OP could tell us a bit more about where they live, and what sort of riding the GF wants to do?

OP
OP
S

samanosuke

Thanks to all the replies so far! Valid points from everyone :smile:

jimboalee, thanks for the bike offer but it's not her cup of tea =/ We didn't take the weight into account but we'll try and get a rest ride tomorrow.

Thanks for the pashley princess suggestion - personally I think it looks miles better but, again, not her cup of tea (it's the black).

We've been looking around all day, and the only other bike she'll consider is the Dawes Duchess.

As for use, for now it'll just be for casual strolls - she's a bit scared of the roads so won't be riding to work (City, London) until she gains some confidence. Not too hilly around SE london (except the road up to the kebab shops! ooh that's steep!)

I think Arch has got the right idea - she's definitely placed the look/style over performance. Maybe if she gets serious about cycling then we could possibly upgrade if needed?

wafflycat

May I make a suggestion?

What will help your lady gain confidence on roads, wherever they are, is to get some pukka cycle training from a qualified instructor. There are national cycle training standards which have been put together to give the skills & confidence to ride assertively and safely on roads "Bikeability" and designed for adults.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5116

Fab Foodie

If she gets serious about cycling, you'll be looking at a different kind of bike. But for pootling around the locality, looking and feeling good, then I'm sure the Halfords machine is just fine. Get a decent lock!

Fab Foodie

jimboalee said:
Does it have to be a new bike?

P1537_10-10-09.jpg

£20

Did you buy it for £20 or are you selling, Jimbo?

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
May I make a suggestion?

What will help your lady gain confidence on roads, wherever they are, is to get some pukka cycle training from a qualified instructor. There are national cycle training standards which have been put together to give the skills & confidence to ride assertively and safely on roads "Bikeability" and designed for adults.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5116

Very good idea... Also, reading Cyclecraft, of course.

And yes, if she gets hooked, then it's time for n+1 to kick in (the ideal number of bikes to own is n+1, where N is the number currently owned. There's always another kind of bike to hanker after if you're hooked....)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I notice two things about the reviews: they're almost all from ladies of a more mature group, and they're all really positive. The latter must count for something.

As others have said, tho' I think you could do better for less by going second hand, if this rings her bell, I doubt she'd end up disappointed. My missus rides an old Raleigh that's very much that sort of thing, and she likes it a lot. Three gears is a wee bit limiting, but if you just want it to potter round the city....

Also, those Sturmey Archer hub gears just go on for ever, with no need for faffing about.

Looks ok to me.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I think that looks rather nice, and much cheaper than a Princess.
Mrs UD has one of those beach cruiser type things, loves it. It weighs about the same as a Nissan Micra but she happily pootles along on it, flowery mdguards and all.

Top Bottom