Halford's Real Classic bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
bet they're a giiggle for trundling around on local on the flat, bikes for people that are frightened of modern bikes I reckons

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tynan said:
bet they're a giiggle for trundling around on local on the flat, bikes for people that are frightened of modern bikes I reckons
Whenn I worked out in Holland on a regular basis I'd hire a basic gas-pipe 3 speed for commuting from the station, it was perfect for bimbling around on.
Scared a few moped riders on it too!

jimboalee

Fab Foodie said:
Did you buy it for £20 or are you selling, Jimbo?

Selling.

These type of bikes are worth SOD ALL second hand. I can't drop it for love-nor-money.

I might have to give it away.

How about that OP! Get in your car and come and get it.

jimboalee

Tony B said:
My missus has one of these, got it for nothing from recycle, I did a bit of fettling and it works lovely, that was 3 months ago, now its got flat riser handle bars as she's getting more adventurous [started cycling to work on it], now she wants a hybrid so its going to be a n+1 for Mrs B.

Now why would that be?

3 speed Sturmey ladies bikes. Can't resell them.

If you pay £250 for a 3 speed Sturmey ladies bike, she better LOVE it or you've wasted £250.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Now why would that be?

3 speed Sturmey ladies bikes. Can't resell them.

If you pay £250 for a 3 speed Sturmey ladies bike, she better LOVE it or you've wasted £250.

If she does LOVE it, retrofit ring and sprocket so middle ratio is close to 52". 46 x 24 = 50". She'll LOVE you too. :rolleyes:

tyred

Legendary Member
The sad thing is that old ladies three speeds turn up in perfect nick all the time yet men's versions are usually knackered/crashed or unusually large frame size.

jimboalee

tyred said:
The sad thing is that old ladies three speeds turn up in perfect nick all the time yet men's versions are usually knackered/crashed or unusually large frame size.

There's an explanation for that.

Ladies 3 speed bikes are ridden two or three times and then left in the shed to gather dust. It's because the gearing is TOO BLOODY HIGH.
Hubby or boyfriend hasn't the savvy to resprocket it and she gives up.

I have resprocketed a dozen or more ladies 3 speed bikes with a 24 tooth and the owner has found "Its like a different bike. Much easier to ride".

Psychology. They know they have a new 'low' gear, so middle gear becomes the chosen gear for accelerating from standstill. Once underway, third is selected for a comfortable cruise.
A little more riding and they are permanently in third, knowing there are TWO gears lower.

jimboalee

Arch said:
Nonsense. If she likes the look of the classic, she wants a sit up and beg ladies bike. She may not need more than 3 gears. I use 3 of my 21 on a regular about-town basis. If the gearing is too high, it can be altered by a competent bike shop, whether she gets that one or another make.

I'd agree that if she wants classic she could get something second hand that does fine, and is probably bomb-proof. If she's quailing at the thought of spending £250 and likes the classic look, then she's probably not wanting to ride miles and miles, she probably just wants a bike to get about on (it would be handy to know this actually). 27 speeds on a hybrid would be utterly wasted, and not as easy to maintain/clean as a hub.

The reason I suggest a hybrid triple is because they resell easier when the lady progresses to a road bike.

A Sturmey sprocket can be changed by a competent husband who has a spanner and an electricians screwdriver; a tenner for a new chain and a bar of soap to wash his hands afterwards before receiving hug and kiss off wife.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have a Dawes 3 speed SA and always found the gearing to be perfect on it. It's at the back of my parents' shed at the moment though and I haven't tried it out since I've really got into cycling. It'd be interesting to see how I get on with it now. I'll have to check out the size of the sprocket.

jimboalee

HelenD123 said:
Mine's a rather older vintage. Think mid 1980s.

I'm starting to sweat because I have a feeling that they were 44T ring to 20T sprocket in those days and a 26" wheel size.

That would make it 43, 57 and 76" gears.

75 rpm for 12.5 mph in middle.

Those were the days of 'Grind, grind, grind'.

Nowadays, the ladies like lower gearing for a higher cadence.

Top Bottom