Halfords Web Site Mess Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I wonder if @Sandra6 can give us an insiders perspective, if she wants to be involved in this of course.

Why won't people let this lie? Halfords could have cancelled all the "affected" transactions but chose not to.
Did they not do this because they felt obligated to honour?
Or was this a deliberate promotion to rid their stores of stuff that's been on the shelves for years and boost interest/future sales and reputation of a brand "known" as Helfrauds?
Either way gies peace ffs!

just a thought, but it wasn't an 'offer'... it was an 'error' that some folks took advantage over.

the offer was for the discount with code as shown on the website. the mistake was on the part of the team putting the offer together.

I can understand your point of view but the vitriol in this thread shown to those who took advantage is a little out of place.

DrLex

merely the moocher
Was there all this hand-wringing & finger-wagging here when Oakley slipped up a while back and allowed custom sunglass orders to be placed f.o.c?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well my pads have already been put to use, two packs fitted, another two to go on another bike. My tubes worked out the same price as Decathlon in the end for Michelin, and two are already out to use as spares in my panniers, the others will be fitted when I change tyres soon.

As good Khama, I have so far this week, passed on an old track rear wheel for use with a turbo tyre for a CCer wanting just to swap wheels on his track bike when on the turnpbo, and also posted out spare brake shoes to another member.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Interesting thread. Unlike Cubist I'm not necessarily troubled by stealing or illegality in itself, and I'm not going to lose an awful lot of sleep on behalf of Halford's, but the rationalization of gratuitously acquisitive behaviour is fascinating, especially in contrast to the moral indignation generally displayed at other forms of helping oneself. Would it be old-fashioned to use the word unseemly to describe people's eagerness to take advantage?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There seems to have been a very subtle shift in the tone of the thread. There appears to be a little less "sticking it to the man" and an absence of smilies and more "well I only ordered what I needed to be honest", maybe some want to distance themselves a little from "I ordered shoot loads 'cos I could, whether I needed it or not".
I may be wrong.

Makes me glad that I specified a zero-value order safeguard on our website; when a glitch caused 3 items of £500-£700 to be zero priced it was not possible to continue through checkout, as all delivery zones have a minimum value of £0.01 to qualify.

Of course, if the glitch had priced them at £1 or 1p, then no doubt there would have been a lot of orders

That said, one person did discover a convoluted workaround to get free items using a web form only available to people with a trade discount account. Of course, although it was a contract that we inadvertently accepted by delivering the items, the terms of the account were that it can be closed at our discretion, so his business now pays full retail if they want any parts from us. Was it worth a free pair of boots? Probably not in the long run...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would it be old-fashioned to use the word unseemly to describe people's eagerness to take advantage?
"Unseemly" I like it. I'm going to use that word more often.

I was away last week, but had I been around at the time I would have tutted sanctimoniously and said things like "bad show" and "poor form". But I wasn't. So I didn't. And anyway, I've already owned up to stealing a cardboard box from Halfords' bins, which would make me a big steenking hypocrite.

In the 1980s I worked in an ironmongery/garden department store. I remember selling a lawnmower to a very excited customer who insisted on taking it away immediately. He departed with unseemly haste. I was quite proud of my sale, as it was a bit more than the usual pound of nails or tin of paint. Afterwards it emerged that it had been wrongly priced in the window by quite a large amount. There was quite a fuss afterwards and I was put on stockroom sorting duty, and kept away from high value items. Which suited me fine.

Last edited:

Sandra6

Veteran
I wonder if @Sandra6 can give us an insiders perspective, if she wants to be involved in this of course.
Blimey, I haven't logged in here for a while,and look what you've been up to!
I've been off work this week so I have no idea what's been going on, nothing untoward regarding orders on Friday that I noticed anyway.
Tbh, as have already been said, they would've been quick to spot the error (this isn't the first time something like this has happened) and they could've have cancelled the orders. But Halfords are a pretty much "no quibble" sort of company and don't like to upset their customers, so they'll have sucked it up. I doubt anyone's been sacked, but there might be some under closer supervision for a while!
I don't think anyone's done anything wrong, and I may have been tempted myself if I'd known about it. I could do with half a dozen spare tubes and some muc off.

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 09.22.04.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 09.24.39.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Some time ago I was looking to purchase a Joe Blow track pump. Noticed an offer in my local Halfords - 20% off RRP (or something like that) - can't remember the exact details, but what I do remember was a grossly inflated RRP, compared with every other supplier I checked, so that after their 'generous' deduction the price was still much higher than the competition. If they try to take advantage of their customers I'm not going to worry about taking advantage of their offer.

Top Bottom