Halfords Web Site Mess Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but yes, I'm sure the amount lost will make no difference to Halfords. Maybe they'll have to reduce their share dividend by 0.01p per share to compensate?

To be blunt, if I made a mistake of that magnitude I'd expect to be sacked as well.
Problem is it'll be the minimum wage kid who updated the website who gets the boot, not the chief exec

colly

Re member eR
both parties agreed to the terms and money was exchanged in return for the goods.

How would you feel if your old mum or dad had a bloke in to clean her gutters and charged her £1500? No pressure applied, she agreed the price before hand, he took 10 mins to do it. All above board.

Whatever, it's still taking advantage of another's misfortune.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Halfords must have been fully aware of the code error as they acted to correct it that same day. It would therefore have been a simple operation to cancel all orders submitted while the incorrect code was active and email all those who submitted the orders to see if they wished to re-submit the order and pay the correct price.

Perhaps they see allowing the orders to go through as a small price to pay for bit of good P.R. and possible return orders and extra business from people who took advantage of their error. I haven't seen anybody on here complain about the speed of delivery, quality of goods, etc yet so how many of you will order from Halfords again?

Veganpower

I don't believe it''s hate. Some people are getting a little emotive about the issue. It's their right to do that. I think it is pretty morally objectionable, but I don't want to sit here and be judge and jury. Everyone needs to examine their own conscience. Some are saying they wouldn't have done it if it was Jonny LBS down the street for example.

Now, you know what I might have done. Got the "offer" then dished out a load of it free to CC peeps.^_^

Fair enough. I was just picking up some negativity in an otherwise friendly hospitable forum. I think all disagreements should be settled on Strava :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Would anyone have felt hard done by if they received an email from Halfords cancelling transaction? Surely Halfords weren't obliged to honour an obvious mistake?

No - it's what I, and probably most of us, were expecting.

Fair play to Halfords for honouring some of the orders. I've bought from them in the past and will do so again. In fact, I already have.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
How would you feel if your old mum or dad had a bloke in to clean her gutters and charged her £1500? No pressure applied, she agreed the price before hand, he took 10 mins to do it. All above board.

Whatever, it's still taking advantage of another's misfortune.

An interesting viewpoint. Personally, I see a big difference between the sort of 'business man' who sets out to fleece defenceless pensioners for profit and an individual who seeks to save themselves a few quid by knowingly exploiting the carelessness of a large corporation to get themselves a few cheap consumables, but if you think the two are directly equivalent that's your prerogative.

No - it's what I, and probably most of us, were expecting.

Fair play to Halfords for honouring some of the orders. I've bought from them in the past and will do so again. In fact, I already have.

That ultimately is the bottom line. Anyone that has received goods at the "special" rates has done so due to Halfords deciding to honour orders.
I don't think they would have lost any business if they had canceled transactions, as most would have expected them to do this.
So talk of theft etc is way over the top, just ask any Halfords store staff member about theft when they do stock takes.....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't believe it''s hate. Some people are getting a little emotive about the issue. It's their right to do that. I think it is pretty morally objectionable, but I don't want to sit here and be judge and jury. Everyone needs to examine their own conscience. Some are saying they wouldn't have done it if it was Jonny LBS down the street for example.

Now, you know what I might have done. Got the "offer" then dished out a load of it free to CC peeps.^_^
You are Robin Hood and ICMFP.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
An interesting viewpoint. Personally, I see a big difference between the sort of 'business man' who sets out to fleece defenceless pensioners for profit and an individual who seeks to save themselves a few quid by knowingly exploiting the carelessness of a large corporation to get themselves a few cheap consumables, but if you think the two are directly equivalent that's because you're a nobber .

I fixed that for you :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Did anyone see the £1 shop wars where the shop opposite offered everything for 50p for one day . The £1 shop bought all of the stock and sold it for ....... Go on guess how much ....

Actually as some are struggling with the concept of business I will tell you .
They sold it for £1 .

Feeling somewhat justified in asking for this to be moved lol

No high and mightyness from me in that and well done to all that grabbed a bargain, I just thought the topic would get popular!

I have to agree with the posters though wishing the best to Halfords for honoring this, esp for the EMOs* that were submitted.

:thumbsup:

*Epic Mega Order

Andrew_P

In between here and there
It is quite interesting that some wouldn't have done it to a small business but seem to justify to themselves by the size of the business that made the error. The reason I wouldn't have done it are mainly for the person who made the error and the fact I believe that at the core of it I would have felt at the very least dishonest, especially if I ordered stuff that I had no need nor knew anyone who might need 10 QR seat clamps!

Picking on you Simon only because of the picture of your deliveryl, and it struck me that not much of it was really useful and was "bought" for the sake of it, quite a waste really.

Top Bottom