Halfords Web Site Mess Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is quite interesting that some wouldn't have done it to a small business but seem to justify to themselves by the size of the business that made the error. The reason I wouldn't have done it are mainly for the person who made the error and the fact I believe that at the core of it I would have felt at the very least dishonest, especially if I ordered stuff that I had no need nor knew anyone who might need 10 QR seat clamps!

Picking on you Simon only because of the picture of your deliveryl, and it struck me that not much of it was really useful and was "bought" for the sake of it, quite a waste really.
Hard not to agree with your post Andrew P.

I also posted the observation about all those seat clamps, then deleted it when I saw someone had already said the same.

It's all looking a bit pathetic really isn't it?

I have only once in my entire life (and with several bikes) replaced a seat clamp.

The proud owner of all those seat clamps is even going to struggle to find ten (or however many clamps there are) friends to supposedly give them to.

On with the sad dance - maybe a thread should be started for "things you can do with a job lot of pointless seat clamps"

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I haven't read all of this bickering but find it rather amusing that this has been flagged as a Featured Thread. Apparently they "... are intended to promote the best of what our community has to offer".

I know this isn't the best that CC offers!

Rustybucket

Veteran
I will counteract any bad "karma" by giving away my spare inner tubes to any cyclists I pass with a p*ncture on the side of the road.
I hope this will stop me going to hell... :evil:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Several parcels arrived today; 6 tubes, 3 bar end plugs and 3 bar tape (already allocated to bikes) and a rear light.

Not much compared to others but I'll use all of this.

jay clock

Massive member
Summary for those who cannot be stuffed to read 15 pages:
1 Halfords screwed up and sold a ton of stuff at far below market price
2 Some jumped at the chance to take advantage of the deal
3 Others thought it was morally objectionable to take advantage of the deal
4 Others thought it was theft to take advantage of the deal

The End

My thoughts fwiw. I missed this thread because of my present medical condition I've decided not to invest in any more kit for a while.
On the people who picked up bargains they NEEDED fair play to you, on those who took the stance it was morally wrong, fair play to you. But to the people who filled their baskets with things like 15 bottle holders etc, why? Just pure greed!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
An interesting viewpoint. Personally, I see a big difference between the sort of 'business man' who sets out to fleece defenceless pensioners for profit and an individual who seeks to save themselves a few quid by knowingly exploiting the carelessness of a large corporation to get themselves a few cheap consumables, but if you think the two are directly equivalent that's your prerogative.

whichever way i look at these two scenarios, it's one person taking advantage of another's vulnerability... the only 'big' difference between the two is you find one easier to justify because you did it too.

just a thought about all of this.

I can see both sides of the argument regarding the morality of ordering loads of stuff in a way that you know is slightly awry.

my thoughts are as follows:

the people who have ordered lots of stuff (the seatpost clamps seem to be highlighted most) took advantage (not stole) of an offer that Halfords had made - Greed? yes. Stealing? possibly. Morally wrong? so so.

Halfords on the other hand, do you think that greed doesn't come into their business framework? I am sure that they negotiate the best prices from suppliers with certain terms and conditions thrown in - some of which may seem morally wrong, but that is business as done by most companies, not just the large ones. I have dealt with Halfords in the past and seen some of their returns - complete utter rubbish but that is the agreement, take their business and put up with the odd fly in the ointment for it. I am sure that they are looking at it the same way

whether or not you agree with the over ordering of the goods - Halfords are big and bad enough to say no if they want. I am sure that the cost of the orders to them has got more people to their site, who knows, they may even order something that isn't in the offer in future. I doubt they will lose too much sleep or profit from it.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Interesting how the word "deal" is being used when the word "mistake" would be far more accurate.
I took advantage of a shops deal!
I took advantage of an individuals mistake!*

*I do realise that there may have been more than one person responsible for the mistake.

Either way I know which one I'd be feeling less than smug about.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
whichever way i look at these two scenarios, it's one person taking advantage of another's vulnerability... the only 'big' difference between the two is you find one easier to justify because you did it too.

Have you ever bought a cheap item of clothing from the high street that was manufactured in the far East Monty?
You must have known that the workers who made it were being exploited and living in poverty..

By your own reckoning that makes you just as despicable as the factory owner who is actually exploiting his workers to manufacture those goods.
There are an awful lot of sanctimonious pricks on here who might do well to remove the plank from their own eye before worrying about the splinter in mine...

potsy

Rambler
just a thought, but it wasn't an 'offer'... it was an 'error' that some folks took advantage over.
There was an offer of £5 off an order, just so happens the small print was slightly different from what actually happened :whistle:

I am not going to feel guilty about the stuff I bought, all things I needed and in very small quantities, 2 tubes, 1 pack of frame protectors etc, only thing I bought extra of was the Muc-off, 4 bottles which considering the condition of my bikes will only last me a couple of weeks anyway ^_^

Top Bottom