Halloween

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These folks have gone to town.

saw it out of a bus window the other week.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19663312.giant-spider-takes-colne-building--/

must admit to being bemused by various signs you see these days saying "happy halloween".

I mean I thought it was supposed to be - oo - scarey - albeit in a fun way.

i predict that in 5 years the increasingly desperate churches will be getting in on the act, trying to drum up business and likes.

Spiders webs in the porch, more horrors through the creepy door.

The catholic church has a head start on creepy interiors and decor of course.

OK that comment was OTT, but the load of bollocks comment was spot on IMO.
I don't thing it OTT at all to be honest.
As a cyclist I find it particularly sad that great ships are ploughing the oceans delivering all this gubbins when many folks young and old can't get bike bits.
At least the pumpkins are (I assume) home grown and you can conceivably do something useful with them afterwards.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
These folks have gone to town.

saw it out of a bus window the other week.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19663312.giant-spider-takes-colne-building--/

must admit to being bemused by various signs you see these days saying "happy halloween".

I mean I thought it was supposed to be - oo - scarey - albeit in a fun way.

i predict that in 5 years the increasingly desperate churches will be getting in on the act, trying to drum up business and likes.

Spiders webs in the porch, more horrors through the creepy door.

The catholic church has a head start on creepy interiors and decor of course.
That seems to have been paid for by a company. This is on a private house!

(Apologies for the poor photo - it was dark!)

DRM

Guru
https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/samhain
Just another festival pinched by the Christian church way back when in order to get pagan people on board

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
We've always celebrated Halloween due to the late Mother-in-Law having her birthday on the 31st. As she was the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter, she always played up the witch part so my wife grew up with spooky parties on the 31st. We've kept the tradition going and pre-Covid, and since MiL passed away, the party has been at our house.

Part of the party was the guisers/trick or treaters. My wife will be in full witch costume and will be greeting the local kids at the den we'll create at the front door. She's been doing it for 8 years since we moved here and has got to know the kids as they've grown up. She always has sweets and handmade spooky gifts for them and the kids seem to like it.

In recent years, she's had a lot of parents drop by the next day with flowers and chocolates to say thank you.

I might think it's nonsense, but my wife gets a lot of pleasure out of it and the kids all seem to love it. I think it's part of actively participating in a community.

Top Bottom