Halloween

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markemark

Über Member
Chores, that's how I earned them.
My kids are expected to help and don’t get rewarded for doing so.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I always thought that the practice of trying to get something through force, threats or blackmail was defined as extortion, not really a great example to be passing onto our children.
  1. The point of the anecdote was more that they'd come two days early. That was the remarkable thing
  2. Does anyone actually have a 'trick' up their sleeve any more?
  3. I'm a skinny, speccy cowardly weakling at the best of times but even I'm not particularly intimidated by three five year old children in superhero costumes whose parents are stood chatting to me from the end of the garden path.
  4. The massive Halloween decorations adorning the front of our property might imply some sort of consent as far as trick or treating is concerned.
  5. It's all planned and discussed online these days and we know what to expect (but maybe not when to expect it, apparently).
  6. We are an affluent neighborhood.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Our friends went pumpkin picking and bought 2 pumpkins for £20. It must be a real money spinner for pick your own farms.
Ours were £2 from the co-op down the road and look just as good.
Ours were £4.50 from the local greengrocer which must be some sort of halfway house between affordability for the consumer and a sustainable income for the producer and supplier.

There's a bit of a barney going on in our neighbourhood facebook group regarding the pricing of cucumbers in the greengrocer compared to the Co-op supermarket over the road...

stephec

Legendary Member
With a bit of luck it will piss down on Sunday evening.

When I was working full time on home deliveries October the 31st was a nightmare, soon as you rang the doorbell the lights would go off and the house would fall silent.
Ah, sorry about that, if I'd known that it was you I'd have answered the door. 😂

D

Deleted member 1258

I shall be putting our poster on the door and hoping for a quiet night.

now now - folks are entitled to their opinions - I've liked a few posts by folks clearly having a good time from it.
And I still want to see a pic of the wifey witch.

As I recall from my lancs/yorks border childhood "mischief night" was a rather bigger thing.
I was a nice boy so wasn't involved in that - wasn't let out.
My dad was often a bit grumpy I think to find his gate taken off its hinges every year.

Can't help wondering if the start of all this was the original rather good John Carpenter Halloween flick.

If only he'd known
I am of the age where I still think of it as apple-tucking night, but am happy that it seems to have moved on from the practice of "egging" houses and shop fronts that used to happen around 20 years ago.

I do find it a bit strange how it as magnified into a now established annual festival, but it is just another slight step in the inexorable move to the media led Americanisation of our popular culture, plus the opportunity for business to fill a gap before Christmas spending kicks in. Cynical, moi?

I have bought a pack of small chocolate bars to give to the kids who call at our house, with the added bonus of finishing off any that are left over

D

Deleted member 1258

Just a 'no thanks' have done it. The final sentence is liable to spur them on to new heights of antisocialness.

Indeed, the modern convention is that if one doesnt have the decorations up then one is not open to visits from ghosts, ghouls, or Prince Andrew.

That poster has given us quiet Halloweens for a couple of decades.

Top Bottom