Halloween

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I live in suburban London.
When we go trick or treating there are more houses with pumpkins out than we can physically visit, so absolutely no need to knock on random doors.
I presume in a small village with few potential houses people may knock on a few unwanted doors but the no pumpkin no knocking rule is very well observed, even to the point where you can turn the light out inside the pumpkin and that indicates the children have gone to bed.
I do feel sorry for anyone who fears the knock at the door. But in my experience fire works are far more bother with idiots setting them off at silly times.

grldtnr

Über Member
That seems to have been paid for by a company. This is on a private house! View attachment 615623

(Apologies for the poor photo - it was dark!)
And what, exactly have pirates got to do with Halloween?
This thing that goes around that pirates are silly clownish oafs,hunting treasure and stuff, is really false.
Pirates, on the hole are murderous violent criminals ,with no morals at all, not at all the 'fun' figures they are made out to be.

winjim

Smash the cistern
And what, exactly have pirates got to do with Halloween?
This thing that goes around that pirates are silly clownish oafs,hunting treasure and stuff, is really false.
Pirates, on the hole are murderous violent criminals ,with no morals at all, not at all the 'fun' figures they are made out to be.
You know that vampires aren't real, and mummies don't come back to life, right?

My 6yo is thrilled to be descended from an actual pirate, she's got it into her head that our entire family are pirates (because that's obviously how inheritance works), and it's a bit of fun.

Modern day pirates? Yeah, not much fun, they've got RPGs and stuff. Olde fashioned pirates, yo-ho-hoing and burying treasure? It was a long time ago and it's morphed into a ripping yarn more than anything else. It's just stories.

Anyway, Halloween's only one night and then in a few days we can all get on with celebrating the gruesome execution of a man who attempted to assassinate the king.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

I live in suburban London.
When we go trick or treating there are more houses with pumpkins out than we can physically visit, so absolutely no need to knock on random doors.
I presume in a small village with few potential houses people may knock on a few unwanted doors but the no pumpkin no knocking rule is very well observed, even to the point where you can turn the light out inside the pumpkin and that indicates the children have gone to bed.
I do feel sorry for anyone who fears the knock at the door. But in my experience fire works are far more bother with idiots setting them off at silly times.
i live in a kind of semi-closed close in london - nice little community - several of the neighbours do a halloween round but only visit folks who have in some way consented. So it all seems very cosy. Maybe in time it'll become the new christmas.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
A lot easier to carve than tumshies
We carved a swede when I was young in the 80s.
Not sure whether you could even buy pumpkins?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Halloween isn't a thing in my neighbourhood... the students go out dressed up and get pissed and none of the families take their kids round the streets trick or treating. Halloween wasn't really much of an event when i was a kid either... we'd go out after dark with no concept of trick or treat, looking for witches and ghosts, carrying lanterns made from jam jars which would inevitably shatter from the candle inside. This time of year was all about mischief night and bonfire night back then in the late 70s and early 80s... these days people younger than 30 don't seem to have a concept of mischief night; a great British tradition lost to the American import of Halloween :sad:

Bring back mischief night!

DRM

Guru
Yes remember it well, tying the bins to door handles and knocking on the door and scarpering, hedge hopping and knocking on doors and hiding to see the results, for some reason Reliant Robin baiting, involved standing on a small roundabout and yelling Plazzy Jag, one containing a young bloke made a sudden turn to chase us and barely avoided rolling it over, we were delightful kids

Top Bottom